Fireworks on the 16th

JV44

Why not abstain for 6 months of the year as then the feeling of anticipation will be even greater :rolleyes: I'm sure there would be plenty of good reasons to have a 6 month closed season....or maybe even longer !

It seems to me that most people who want the closed season want it for all the wrong reasons...mainly a feel good factor!

And when I return to the rivers on Tuesday they will be so different to when I last saw them.

New swims, new growth, new water.

And new life...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
And when I return to the rivers on Tuesday they will be so different to when I last saw them.

New swims, new growth, new water.

And new life...

But you along with everyone else will squash the new cover in your way and upset all the new life as it's not so used to people due to their absense. I'm not getting at you TT just the whole closed season nonsense.

But you along with everyone else will squash the new cover in your way and upset all the new life as it's not so used to people due to their absense. I'm not getting at you TT just the whole closed season nonsense.

By having a close season, the river banks get the chance to flourish and become renewed.

Without it, the banks of our rivers would begin to resemble the banks of a commercial carp pool.

Is there not a certain magic in returning to your favourite river and finding it transformed as spring has done its work.

And yes we'll squash some of that cover (ironically I have just started out a thread on the etiquette of clearing bankside cover) but without that break, the cover all along the river would no doubt become squashed. Permanently.

For me, the close season for rivers adds magic to fishing rather than detracting from it.

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Guest tigger
By having a close season, the river banks get the chance to flourish and become renewed.

Without it, the banks of our rivers would begin to resemble the banks of a commercial carp pool.

Is there not a certain magic in returning to your favourite river and finding it transformed as spring has done its work.

And yes we'll squash some of that cover (ironically I have just started out a thread on the etiquette of clearing bankside cover) but without that break, the cover all along the river would no doubt become squashed. Permanently.

For me, the close season for rivers adds magic to fishing rather than detracting from it.

Regarding trampling cover, people don't usually walk the whole bank of a river even in the full swing of the season. Usually they only go to spots that are fishable so 99 percent of the foliage/cover would get to grow unmolested anyway.

Regarding trampling cover, people don't usually walk the whole bank of a river even in the full swing of the season. Usually they only go to spots that are fishable so 99 percent of the foliage/cover would get to grow unmolested anyway.

One benefit of the coarse close season is the opportunity to game fish in peace and quiet. To be able to wade stretches of water with a fly rod without being bombed by 2oz leads and method feeders.

I'm fortunate in that my two favourite rivers are brimming with coarse and game fish and both are lightly fished on the waters I have access to (choose to fish).

I thoroughly enjoy the anticipation of the 16th if only to try out a new rod or reel (definitely a reel this year :rolleyes: )and, to watch the rod tip/float makes a change from wading and constant casting. As they say, a change is as good as a rest!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Guest Rabbit

Agree with those sentiments TT....but for a large group of 'Anglers' there is NO closed season, but just a very good chance to fill their plastic bags and bankside BBQ's with some fresh fish, without the chance of being spoken with because the law abiding anglers are on such sites as this talking about the merits of a closed season <_<

Guest Rabbit

One benefit of the coarse close season is the opportunity to game fish in peace and quiet. To be able to wade stretches of water with a fly rod without being bombed by 2oz leads and method feeders.

That IS the very reason the closed season came about, to keep those coarse anglers away so the gentleman fluff chuckers can go about their business without even having to look at one of those coarse types, nothing to do with spawning fish, bankside vegetation at all. I don't see the sense or fairness in having to impose your beliefs on the rest of us who actually prefer to use the methods you sneer at, bring your fly rod to the Lower Severn, ot the Trent and see how you fare, or you can stick to the chalk streams and not impose such out of date thinking on those who actually prefer leads and feeders to a may fly.

Edited by Rabbit

On the subject of the original posters question, I am indeed looking forward to going fishing again after a few months break. :D:D

Whatever the various reasons, theories, arguments, opinions and nonsense there is regarding the Close Season, I for one, think it does the mnd and soul good to have a break from one of my numerous pastimes.

It gives me time to reflect, plot and imagine forthcoming, outrageous piscatorial events whilst also facilitating the time which compels me to carry out those other things I should , and want to do ........

Even if the Close Season does vanish from the rivers, which I am sure is going to happen to satisfy our "24-7" modernistic demands, then let them be. They can keep changing rules, taxes, seasons, ingredients on jars of peanut butter warning numskulls that the product is peanut based, but I will still be holding small gatherings somewhere on the Thames on the 16th June every year and maybe letting the odd firework or two off............so put that in your pipe and smoke it (outdoors of course).

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Joined a lake to fish for tench in the close season but never got to as stupidly busy at work but must admit i did have a go on the Oxford canal on our trip home with the boat and caught lots of small Rudd,Gudgeon,Bream and bits but sadly no Carp and some that i saw in there were right lumps ,This has not dampened my excitement about the 16th as i have been prebaiting some spots for the big day and intend to fish the night of the 16th on our new mooring from the boat.

Not sure if i can`t wait due to the 16th June factor or the fact that its a new spot but the few days on the Oxford havent ruined it for me,maybe that is because its not a river unlike where i intend to be on Tuesday night , Deep depresion to follow if i blank after all the fuss about my Boilie making in the kitchen :lol: good luck to all those trying on the first day Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

You should try flyfishing, Rabbit, you might like it. I did. This year, I've split my spring fishing between catching tench with bolt rigs and alarms and fly fishing for trout. They both have their joys, but I must say that the peace and quiet of fly fishing has compared well to the crowded banks of my local coarse fisheries. Good job the rivers stay crowd-free year round.