Rubbish gear rantette

grayson

Because I am dipping a toe into more coarse fishing than previous fly only seasons I have been buying some stuff to replace vintage gear- Mitchell 300s and other museum pieces.The good news- new Shimanoes(bait runners of various sizes) fantastic.New Fox Chub and Barbel rods- superb

New barbel net - nice big circular job bought last Autumn.Appalling- had a flip up facility (which I didn't really need )which lasted 3 trips and a bit of mud.The arms have now pulled irretrievably out of the not so cheap but very nasty spreader block.

New rod rests- nice funky design- shame the spikes pulled off when I removed them from ground .Shame the soft feel rubber heads' thread stripped because..ermm..I screwed them on- gently.

Extendable specimen type carbon landing net pole- either won't lock at all at desired extension or locks solid and has to be taken home at full stretch as it were.

All above items from well known quality firms.

There is not the space to tell you just how crap my designed in Alnwick built in Christ knows where breathable water cooled £299 chest waders are ....

Janets totally right. First thing to do is take the items (if faulty) back to where you purchased them from.If its something that you dont like about the design of the item but its not faulty try contacting the makers.They are often interested in hearing direct feedback.However if its simply a case of a one off faulty item then they cant realy be blamed but the retailer should then replace it with a non faulty item and its then his responsibility to return it to his supplier.

No joy from the retailer then contact the manufacturer.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sounds like you havent had much luck with the gear that you chose.

Either you are physically super strong or your tackleshop stocks total crock coarse gear.

Ive had my Barbel landing net for over 5 years now and its still going strong, it doesn't have a flip-up facility its just a simple type, but it's reliable.

I have simple stainless steel rod rests and they last me four or five seasons at the very least.

I know that some makes of landing net poles leave a lot to be desired but they are usually the light match type ones.

I would do what Budgie suggested. Not all coarse gear is like that.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)