Going macro ?

RobStubbs

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice as to how best to take macro photographs. I have used extender tubes in the past and they worked pretty well, but I see there are now some lenses which screw on like filters that can do the same thing.

So I guess what is best without the added expense of getting a real macro lense - i.e. that focusess down to 5-10cm or so ? It will only be used every now and again so I don't need the absolute best option (and couldn't afford it anyway).

Oh and it's for the canon EOS.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

A quick bump to the top for this one as I would be very interested in the replies.

I'm using a compact - Samsung S850, which will focus down to 1cm, but I could use some help and advice. I've taken one or two shots that I'm really pleased with, but hints and tips for getting better results would be good.

I'd love to get results like the dragonfly that Ayjay posted on the Photo of the Day thread, but I suspect I need better equipment for that!

Janet

The simplest way is with a reversing ring but I doubt they will fit on a dslr, other options include the screw on filters you mention (some here) or a Raynox converter (here) which is similar but they are adaptable to fit different lens sizes, the Raynox will definitely produce sharp pictures, I've got no experience of the newer type screw on filters so can't comment on them. The Raynox has a fairly fixed focusing distance of about 100mm

Extension tubes are still fairly popular, the big advantage of them is that you are adding no more glass to the system. Do extension tubes l give you true macro or do they just reduce the minimum focusing distance?

This moth pic is a 100% crop taken with a Raynox on a Panasonic FZ8.

P1010507AN.jpg

Janet: the dragonfly pics were taken on a tripod with a second hand Canon 350 (£200) and a Sigma 135-400, no longer widely available as it's been superceded, but if you found a new one it would be about £500, I got mine second hand for £230.

Edited by ayjay

I use a reversing ring on my Nikon, the good thing about it is you can then use any( in my case 52mm filter thread) lens which means you can pick up some good old lens bargins. I use a Yashica 28mm and 50mm lens with mine.

Very good results can be achieved, not necessarily by me. :D

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Belters John mate

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”