What's the etiquette for clearing a swim?

tiddlertamer

I'm fairly new to fishing and this subject matter also doesn't appear much in fishing instruction books - what is the etiquette, maybe rules, or even laws in regard to clearing a swim next to a river?

I wouldn't for a moment make changes to a river bank on a stretch of river where a river keeper operates.

But on some of my club's stretches, the river banks rarely see any impact from man (which I think is no bad thing) and on June 16 are at times impenetrable with vegetation.

What's the score?

I guess its coolio to trample down a few nettles or is that considered a chainsaw massacre approach?

What exactly is acceptable?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Aint that a funny thing. I was fishing the F&C canal yesterday and I decided to fish a largely wild bit of turf that doesn't see much pressure. I took a pair of garden shears to clear enough space to fish a quiver through, about 18" wide. I was sitting behind the rushes for cover with my rod at 60-120 degrees, depending on the cast, with just enough clearance for my line to poke through fairly unhindered. I have tench on the brain at the moment.

..............I ended up catching rudd on the waggler.... :huh:

Anyway, I'd say, cut back anything dead or if green, just the very minimum. Enough to fish and that's it. Some of that wild bankside provides cover and very often allows for some 'under the tip' action.

....Andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Take a petrol strimmer down with you and give it rock all clear at least 20' either side of you ;)

Thanks to Elton

Edited by les middy

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

This is better, it can even collect the rubbish to dispose of and and give nice stipes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RYOBI-PETROL-LAWNMOW...4634.m335.l1262

:D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

From the CDAA website.

http://cdaa.co.uk/

Most of our anglers are keen to keep whats left of our rapidly decreasing countryside.

Nature holds a delicate balance between life and extinction. Far too many species have been made extinct by mans ignorance, greed or stupidity. Remove a single species and the knock on effect can be felt across the entire wildlife spectrum.We cannot change the world but we can help. The bush you are breaking back to get an easier cast might have produced just enough extra berries to save one small bird from death in the harsh winter. It may sound petty, Whats one bird, or insect or fish tc.

!!!! A LOT WHEN THERE ARE NONE LEFT !!!!!!.

Some waters are within SSIs, where vegetation is protected.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Nature holds a delicate balance between life and extinction. Far too many species have been made extinct by mans ignorance, greed or stupidity.

I read somewhere if you add together all the m2 area of the houses and roads built in the uk the total area is less than 5% of the uk land mass. Where does greed and ignorance come into it. I do stand to be corrected on the area if someone knows otherwise. B)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

If the club leases the stretch, and you have a club book, and can't get to the river, you're fully entitled to clear a little vegetation - obviously things like treading down nettles rather than cutting down trees. Most of my small river fishing involves this, and I really love it, as you know for sure that no-one's been there before :) I never 'clear swims' in advance, I just flatten nettles, etc. as and when I need to. They very often unflatten themselves after a few weeks anyway!

Catching spooky fish from overgrown streams - perfect :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music