Pike attacks Small dog

ben88

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DavyR:

Yesterday's AT carried a report of an angler who was bitten by a pike when he was washing groundbait off his hands! He had to have a tetanus shot and everything! And then his mate caught it an hour later! You've got to believe it - it was in AT!

Yep and the guys mate posts on MD :D

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

I was fishing on a lake in mid summer and it was so hot i decided to dangle my feet in the water to kool off.

It was very refreshing until a huge pike grabbed my leg and pulled me in!! If it had'nt been for a helpfull passer by pulling me from it's jaws who knows what might have happend ?

"Man really has been to the moon" What a crock of sh*t.

Tigger.

arfter reading the paper today (live dog for sharks) and reading the jackrussel story its given me a few ideas!

im heading off to the local dogs home, via the tackle shop for some 6,0s ;-]

p,s just read the whole thread! lol wots all that about all relaying storys of killer pike and derring doo!

reality check needed! thats the sort of stuff my old grandad used to tell me with a wink and a nudge before getting out the werthers original lol

It would be interesting to see the underwater profile of a very small dog. I doubt that it would be too far removed from some of the large jerkbaits that are now commonplace. What would a small jack russell pup weigh? 4/5lbs ? Some pikers use deadbaits not far short of that weight.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

With respect Argyll i think the pup would weigh more than that at six month old as it would be nearly fully grown(size wise).

I have bred and worked Jack's along with other dogs for many years so have a good idea of their size at that age although the none pedigree version can vary a lot in size. They're a totally different shape than a fish and i don't think they would slide down a pikes neck very easily.

They would stick their legs out in it's throat and choke the pike to death

Tigger

They would stick their legs out in it's throat and choke the pike to death

So tigger you've tried it then :)

Sorry tigger I didn't pick up on the age. However pike are not noted for being picky and are not really concerned about whether its a mammal, bird or fish... its all supper and it doesnt need to look like a fish, merely be in the size range that a big pike will take. We know them to take exceptionally large prey when it suits..up to a third of bodyweight would not be unusual. Voles and other similar creatures are also regularly taken. All a pike sees is a big outline thrashing around in the water.

Okay it doesn't happen too often, but then finding a very small dog splashing around in the same place as a very large pike probably doesn't happen too often either.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'