Pike attacks Small dog

ben88

at a local estate lake (hardwick), there was a story of a giant pike that took a blind mans springer spaniel pup. since then the water has been dredged and no pike are present.

Some folk need a reality check but its a good job cos jack russel pups are expensive baits!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, you must admit there seem to be a lot of people around who have seen pike taking water fowl of various sizes?? And a Jack Russell pup is pretty small, probably smaller than the 5lb pike that big pike can cheerfully eat, so why not a dog?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Steve Burke:

However, I have once witnessed a fully-grown coot taken by a pike.

Now, if only we could breed that specific strain of pike.... :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Does anyone actually believe this story?

This type of garbage is exactly why I don't use Maggotdrowners anymore.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Elton:

Elton:

However, I have once witnessed a fully-grown coot taken by a pike.

Now, if only we could breed that specific strain of pike.... :D
Pah, you just wait until I get round to doing my selective breeding of sticklebacks experiment. Mind you, a stickleback big enough to eat a coot; I wouldn't go into the water with those about...

Andy Macfarlane:

Does anyone actually believe this story?

This type of garbage is exactly why I don't use Maggotdrowners anymore.

I've seen the same kind of story on plenty of predator sites as well though Andy!!

To be honest i love my pred fishing and as some know i'm a mod on MD's but when i read stuff like that i can't help but laugh anyone who takes it seriously must be missing a few pennies.

Hell when i was a kid i remember all my mates at school getting all excited about a weekends fishing for "scarback" the legendry huge pike who lived in the Sowe here in Stafford HE(yes it was a male )was at least 60lb, 4ft long and a back that was covered in scars where he had turned at the last minute instead of taking a spinner/plug, it had eaten loads of dogs, cats ect, bitten a hole in the rubber dinghy of a bunch of kids and even bitten the toes of a guy who was paddling in the river.

Do you believe that.......plenty of people in Stafford did...i didn't cos i knew there was no way a pike that big lived in the Sowe..deamon would have eaten him.....now she was about 150lb 12ft long and ate whole sheep.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Yesterday's AT carried a report of an angler who was bitten by a pike when he was washing groundbait off his hands! He had to have a tetanus shot and everything! And then his mate caught it an hour later! You've got to believe it - it was in AT!

[ 28. September 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: DavyR ]

I don't know how true this story is, but theres absolutely no doubt that a biggish pike could take a small puppy.

We saw a dead 30-35lb fish on the Rive Yare last year with another pike around 10-12lbs stuck in its throat. I think my friend Lee might have piccie of it somewhere. A good example of 'biting off more than you can chew' but a 10lb pike is a considerable size.

About ten years ago I saw a pike lying on the bottom of the Sportsman Broad with a mallard firmly fixed in its jaws. A girl and her friend on the jetty were trying to poke it with an oar to make it release its supper.

At certain times of the year there seems to be upsurge of interest amongst pike populations in ducklings and other mammals. The ducks seem to know when its about to happen and retreat into the reeds, but you can sit in your boat and listen to the slaughter going on in the reedbeds. Occasionally it spills over into the margins and you can see the disturbance in the water. Then it abruptly stops. Whilst water and land based mammals do take ducks, these are quite clearly pike and I've witnessed this on several occasions.

A small breed puppy is actually a small mouthful in comparison with other creatures that a pike is known to take, so there's no reason in theory that this couldnt have happened. To a pike its just a small 12"-15" long outline with a few legs hanging down, not too dissimilar to a large duck. Sizewise, a very young Jack Russell pup would be no bigger than a 3 or 4lb pike in outline. No problem for a mature pike, they eat jacks that size regularly.

[ 28. September 2005, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'