Carp sores?

Julian

Hi all, can anybody help this visitor to the site?

--------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I fish on a local lodge in Derbyshire and the Carp I have caught all seem to have perfectly round sores with like a little black spot in the middle of it. It seems to be eating the fish away. Can you enlighten me at all as to what this maybe?

Thanks, George Middleton

--------------------------------------------------------

Cheers… Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Julian.Cant help determine the cause,but was in the midlands last week,and fished a couple of pools that we usually visit whilst up there.

5 years ago the fish were in tip top condition;on one of the pools,almost all the fish caught had similar sores!!of varying degree.

The guy does have a net dip in operation,but i'm not convinced about these dips.Would be very interested myself if anyone comes up with the answer.

chuby

Yes! I think the answer is that while keep nets and landing nets are dipped, reels (tin hat on!)

are not, I feel that the line can cross- contaminate the water!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

if you take the surface area of the line - especially the high tec match lines (reduced diameter) then there is more surface area and contamination likely from a waggler or stick float .. so god only knows what you could spread with a feeder (as both faces are exposed). Nearly as much as could be transported on a single mud foot !

I think the net dip is inplace as most diseases are passed through materials which are wet (eg wet nets left in stick bags or bin liners.

[ 22. July 2004, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Bradford Angler ]

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Its been said if you completely dry everything any disease will die as it only lives in water, but if there is a tub I always dip before and after.

A wise man learns by a fools mistakes, a fool by his own

Unless the sores were caused by physical damage to the skin (damage during spawning exertions, poor handling by anglers or wrestling with predators), they are almost certainly of bacterial origin. Bacterial infections cause ulcers, sores, fin rot and similar ailments.

The application of a suitable antiseptic - preferably 'Adcortyl in Orabase' (sold in Boots for use on human mouth ulcers) may cure the symptoms temporarily.

However, it is often the case that bacterial infections take hold when the fish's immune system is damaged, compromised or less than fully active. In this situation, fish fall foul to infections which - when healthy - they would otherwise be able to combat.

Damage to the immune system is caused by most stressor events, which tend to act cumulatively. That is, the more stress the fish is receiving, the more damage is likely. They include: poor water quality; poor diet (especially one rich in fat or oil); lack of spawning sites; repeated handling; lack of cover; constant harrassment by predators; etc.

Some or all of these can be resolved with appropriate fishery management action. In addition, the use of 'immuno-modulators' (also known as 'immuno-stimulants') will provide an instant boost to the immune system.

I don't want to run a free promo here, but I spent a couple of years developing a pelleted fish feed containing a cocktail of highly effective, naturally-occurring immuno-stimulants (not antibiotics or drugs). It was launched in spring 2004 - as 'Immuno-Boost Pellets' - since when several tonnes have been sold to fishery owners & tenants. No failures so far... and lots of successes.

A 'one week on the pellets, three weeks off' is the usual dose. Put simply, the pellets give the fish the best chance of fighting back naturally.

[ 23. July 2004, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

not at all Bruno run your promo for me . . you go for it mate .. any chance of a price, size of pellet, flavour (are they hookable or just feed pellets ?) and shelf life. There are one or two pieces on the web, but no prices . .

Have any farms used them prior to shipping consignments ?

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

quote:

The application of a suitable antiseptic - preferably 'Adcortyl in Orabase' (sold in Boots for use on human mouth ulcers) may cure the symptoms temporarily
popped into boots for the above stuff with the 'Adcortyl in Orabase'written on a bit of paper a girl took it to the pharmacist and returned with "Orabase protective paste"

but there seems little in it to combat infection :confused:

Posted Image

was i given the same stuff??

[ 27. July 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson