where are the river cops when you need them

hermes

Actually I am serious. Why the difference between the gravel pits nearby, and the canalised river? I would hazard a bet that they know exactly what they are doing, and have licenses.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time this got some enforcement. Yes, I fish the rivers in the coarse fishing closed season but I do it within the law and so should everyone else.

OK, so resourses are stretched but two guys could cover 30k or more of river bank in a day and protection of fish and fishing rights is what we pay our EA licence for.

People fishing, lighting fires and/or leaving litter illegally is going to result in landowners closing acess to rivers for legitimate law abiding anglers.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Well you have your opinion Den and I have mine mate.

Who mentioned a gravel pit, I didnt?

I would bet every bit of tackle I have that they dont have licences, if you knew where this was you would see what I mean. Its not the sort of place to go pleasure fishing at all.

I belong to the Lea at Fishers Green, if the same rule applies there then I could fish the Lea natigation from Fishers Green all the way down to Waltham Abbey and the entire canalised Lea as well. I doubt very much if its legal fishing there at all out of season, rod licence or no rod licence. I also belong to a club in Harefield that are asking members to join what ammounts to a vigilante voluntary bailiffing of their river and lake, I would assist but its fourty miles from me, but the point is that they are having loads of problems with poachers, the increased ammount addint to the worries of the club and the poachers know they can get away with it because....there are very few bailiffs....

It may be boring but as a guy who has always paid for things like memberships and licences then it makes me sick to think that anyone young or old can get away without paying.

Actually I am serious. Why the difference between the gravel pits nearby, and the canalised river? I would hazard a bet that they know exactly what they are doing, and have licenses.

Den

According to the Anglers Mail from April 29, the River Lea Navigation is open below Aqueduct Lock near Cheshunt in Hertfordshire.

Fishing reports are given for Windmill Lane, Waltham Abbey, Dunlops Bend, Enfield Lock in north London (which by all accounts produced three carp of 15lb to a lad floating dog biscuits) and by the Riflemen pub where for a £3 day ticket you can get to fish for the skimmers and roach there.

The river Thames is of course out of season though.

And if you go above Aqueduct Lock, you could be prosecuted for fishing out of season too.

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Hi Dales, if we are talking about the same stretch then I mean the bit where you go under the railway bend and up into daylight after the road splits from Hackney, then look to the left for a few seconds?

The place I saw people fishing was just down from the bridge by the old Lesneys Match Box Toy Factory in Hackney. So may not be the same place but the argument is the same, is it legal and do the have a licence?

I have to admit I always thought the closed season included canals and so assumed the worst. However from what others have said and a quick google it looks like you can fish canals during the closed season.

Anyway licence or no licence they looked a bit shifty and so must be up to no good :)

I bet them buckets had more then bait in them, no doubt full to the brim with Carp destined for the dinner table!

;)

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Yes I know that bit Dale, I think you must have been driving down the road that sort of goes through Hackney Marshes either side of you. I mean the main A12 road, but looking from where I was it's between you and I.

I still think anyone fishing round there not only looks well dodgy but needs their head testing, it's a very rough bit of land and like you bet there still up to no good.

As I said about the Lea upstream where I am, I cant believe it's legal fishing there or the place would be alive with anglers and it aint.

I think I know an enviroment agency bailiff from Fishers Green and Im going to ask him if he know whats going on.

If anyone know how and where I can report this I would be grateful mates.

er, The Environment Agency Emergency 24 Hour Hotline number is on your Fishing Licence

Used to report incidents of illegal fishing, pollution etc it's

0800 80 70 60

(put it in your mobile now so that you have it to hand whenever you might need it).

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi Hermes, this is taken from the Lea Anglers Consortium website.

From Hertford downstream to Aqueduct Lock has been deemed a river and as a consequence angling is allowed only in the open season for rivers. That is betweeen June 16th and March 14th inclusive.From Aqueduct Lock downstream all the way to Bow and the Bow Back rivers it is treated as a canal and thus allowing all year fishing.