A evening after Beards on my local stream

BoldBear

I have had a couple of fairly unsuccessful evening sessions after Tench on the clubs Estate lake lately; even though I had caught a lovely 15lb fully scaled mirror and a couple of 3 to 4lb Bream on Friday evening so I wasn't that upset but a change is as good as a rest;

Carp15lb.jpg

The lovely looking 15lb fully scaled Mirror Carp caught while trying to catch Tench on the Estate lake last week using 4lb line and a size 14 hook.

but I hadn't had one Tench in the last month so to have a break and cheer myself up I decided to go back to the local stream where I knew I could usually rely on catching a Barbel or two on most visits, and if the Barbel didn't want to play then there were always a few good Chub and maybe a decent Roach or two willing to play ball.

I got to the tiny river at around 5:30pm last night (Tuesday) to find someone was fishing in the swim that I had decided to fish so I decided to do a bit of roving. I was trundling a piece of luncheon-meat along the bed using a light 5 SSG link leger and my centrepin.

The water was very low and clear as it is in most streams in the south at the moment and is in sore need of some consistent rain to top up the groundwater (overnights only if possible 'lord of the rain').

Just over an hour passed without anything other than a couple of smallish Chub picking up my meat but it would start getting dark quite soon and this is what I was waiting for.

At around 6:15pm I noticed that the angler in the swim where I had wanted to fish was slowly packing away his gear so I went over to him to ask what he had caught, he said that he had been picking up some nice sized Roach and Chub all through the day and that he was now off for his dinner and a welcome pint.

MFSwim11.jpg

The swim that I fished after the other angler had gone, it looks quite still but there was a good flow from right to left.

As soon as the angler had gone I put a slightly larger lead on the line (½ oz) to counter the flow and hold my bait close the edge of the rushes and no more than a few minutes later I felt a couple of familiar trembles through my finger as a barbel started mouthing my bait and soon after my bait screamed away as the first Barbel was hooked.

After a good scrap it was beaten and I left it in the landing net in the water to recover as I setup my unhooking mat and got my scales out of my fishing bag.

It weighed 5lb 3oz which although not large for this section of river was a very welcome fish.

180809Barbel1.jpg

The first Barbel (5lb 3oz)

I recast to the same spot only this time I also attached a small PVA Stocking full of small halibut pellets and a few broken boilies and a few small scraps of luncheon-meat.

I missed the next bite and the hook came adrift after only a few seconds so I checked my barbless hook but it still seemed very sharp.

180809Barbel2.jpg

My second barbel was even smaller at around 3lb and I didn't bother with the scales.

180809Barbel3.jpg

Third Barbel

My third Barbel came as the light started to fade and pulled the needle round to 5lb 12oz

By my fourth Barbel It was getting dark as the tip went round.

180809Barbel4.jpg

My fourth barbel (5lb 2oz)

Just as I was about to call it a night I just had to have a pee in a bush behind the swim and right in the middle my rod-tip went round and my rod was being pulled off the rod-rest and I only just made it in time to grab the rod, but playing a Barbel while doing up your flies is fraught with danger and I lost it after a couple of runs through the swim.

The larger Barbel didn't show themselves but I didn't really mind as it had been a very pleasant evening on a great little stream and now I'm ready to try for a couple of those elusive Tincas again.

BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Excellent, a very nice read and a great evening's fishing :) I have some good fishing locally but nowhere I can go to knowing I'll catch a barbel, very jealous!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Nice looking fish! Congratulations.

Is it possible to know where you are fishing (PM if you want) it says on your profile you are in Hertfordshire so I'm hoping the stream might be within driving distance from Cambridge where I live..... I can only find larger rivers at the moment so I am looking around a bit. If you could let me know the details of the water or the club then that would be great...... thanks and once again well done on the lovely fish!

Errrm

I am very envious. I wish i could go down my local stretch of river and find the barbel so obliging. My local stretch of the Suffolk stour holds a nice shoal of barbel. But they are testing and elusive most of the time. But i know where there are plenty of nice tench. Wanna swap?

Nice report. Well done

Edited by wayne baker

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

What a great session and great pics, well done!

I’ve yet to try trundling meat mainly because the signals in my local stretch of river will snap it up in seconds. I’ve got a rig in mind which might help solve the problem (a sort of adjustable paternoster) but I have some reservations, I’ll post pics later.

Is your river signal free?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Wayne & Errrm,

I can't mention the place where I fished for obvious reasons but it is the upper river Lea upstream of Bayfordbury.

There are several clubs that have good Barbel stretches along these sections such as the well known 'Red Spinners', Welwyn Garden City AC, Hatfield AC, Verulum AC plus others. there are also a few free stretches (for example Wheathamstead Common) and some dayticket sections (for example WGC Park next to the lake).

There are some good Barbel swims in all of the above sections of river If you know where to look on a quiet evening and can keep low and walk gently. but when you find them keep the actual swim location close to your chest as there are a lot of anglers out there who are not prepared to do their own homework.

Rusty, Yes the stream does appear to be Crayfish free but for how long Is anyones guess as they are in the river a few miles further down the river valley. I will be interested to see your Anti signal rig that you have in mind especially if it works.

Best of luck and Tight Lines.

Keith (BoldBear)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Sounds like a great session, nice Barbel and you cant beat a big fully scaled common.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek