Motorcyclists?

With regards to tests, I did my test on a 125cc in 99/2000, and can honestly say it is much -much- harder than a car test (my examiner was certainly a good deal pickier than my car examiner was). After the test you can only ride 33BHP for two years but in all honesty it's probably not a bad thing to do. I pottered around on an Suzuki RGV125 Fun, which is hell of a learner legal bike (in all honesty too good). I never went above a 125 in my 2 year probationary period (after passing my full test) so obviously the VFR is the first full power bike I've ridden.

If you take a direct access test you can ride anything you like straight away, but you have to sit your test on a 45bhp bike (I think), so I think that basically means a 400cc plus. I'd assume the examiners would be looking for more mistakes (you'd think they would) since basically they are licensing you to ride anything.

I've had her out on open road now and suffice to say the power is still causing me to be a bit wary, BUT, it handles vastly superior at a bit of speed than it does around town and the like. On a 125 (around town) handling is a dream, but the VFR is a bit heavier.

All in I am very pleased with it though.

Ian W

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MrWiggly:

At the end of two years when your CBT "runs out" you can simply re-take your CBT again and continue to ride on "L" plates.

I can vouch for that, i'm on my third

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Hmmm....that must only be the case if you have a full car license. If you only have provisional CAT A entitlement and it expires after two years (CBT or not) you MUST wait one year before reapplying for CAT A provisional entitlement (when you get two more years to ride, and then it is revoked again).

If you have a full car licence you probably can just do your CBT every two years, as I believe you CAT A provisional entitlement becomes permanent BUT obviously your CBT still expires periodically.

Ian W

Here is a picture of my baby, may not be as fast as some of the jap bikes on a track but theres plenty there to keep me going for a long while.

webdaytona.jpg

If anybody is thinking of getting a bike i would recomend passing your test in a car first and getting used to the roads because if you make a mistake in a car (as most people do in thir first year of passing their test) then the chances are it will not hurt you as much as it would on a bike.

[ 17. October 2005, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: paul mc ]

Regards Paul Mc

UK-Fishing-Tackle.co.uk:

Hmmm....that must only be the case if you have a full car license.   If you only have provisional CAT A entitlement and it expires after two years (CBT or not) you MUST wait one year before reapplying for CAT A provisional entitlement (when you get two more years to ride, and then it is revoked again).

Nope not anymore, i think it changed about 2000, you can do as many cbt's as you like. :D

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

According to the DVLA site provisional CAT A entitlement expires every two years for a one year spell. The provisional CAT A entitlement overrides your CBT i.e. if it runs out so does your CBT!

If you have a full car licence CAT A provisional entitlement is automatically granted to you without limitation or expiration (you must retake the CBT periodically though)

However, If you do not have a full car licence and drive beyond a bike beyond the two year CAT A provisional spell then it is 'otherwise in accordance' and that's a reasonably serious motoring offence!!

Ian W

Elton:

I thought they were kebabs   :D  

You've obviously seen that picture of the motorcyclist impaled on the scaffolding pole that he's just ridden into...

DonRamos:

Nice bike Paul.

I love the look of the Triumph Daytona's

I just think they look like a proper bike should    :D  

Is it comfortable to ride?

Its not to bad but the wrists do start to ache after about 1.5hrs especially if you are doing lower speeds as its a little heavier than other modern sports bikes. Saying that it does ride well tho :)

Personally i think they look better with a single sided swing arm(i am told they dont corner aswell as the double tho) especially with an underseat exhaust, but dont all bikes look better with under seat exhausts :cool:

Regards Paul Mc