Bring 'em on Newt

Leon Roskilly

chesters1 - just because it is possible to heat & cool our houses (insulation, you know) and because lumber doesn't cost a fortune over here, and because people can afford to actually buy one without being rich, no need for you to get upset.

BTW - not sure about Florida but the houses and other building along the NC outer banks have to be built to withstand 130 MPH winds. Stick houses tend to do that at least as well as block or rock or brick. And if you happen to experience an earth tremor or two, stick houses flex well while rock houses often fall apart.

Leon, there are several owners (well, co-owners along with a bank) of new boats in Florida who are pretty upset. You cannot buy boat insurance while there is a named storm in the Atlantic and with Bonnie being followed by Charlie and probably a name on TD4 or TD5 before Charlie goes totally inland, they just have to wait to take possession of their boats. Bummer.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt:

Leon, there are several owners (well, co-owners along with a bank) of new boats in Florida who are pretty upset. You cannot buy boat insurance while there is a named storm in the Atlantic and with Bonnie being followed by Charlie and probably a name on TD4 or TD5 before Charlie goes totally inland, they just have to wait to take possession of their boats. Bummer.

Well, TD 4 now has a name.

Welcome Danielle :(

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Charley decided to hit far harder than anyone expected, and its track wasn't on the expected course, so many people evacuated from places thought to be threatened directly into its path.

Now talk is of 'significant loss of life' and many people unaccounted for.

For the families of the dead, and the missing, and those who have lost their homes, and the frantic, my thoughts are there.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HUR...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Bad storm when it hit. Down to pretty much strong winds and lots of rain now and I'm personally relieved since the easting it did made it miss us altogether.

Been trying to reach a daughter-in-law in Orlando though and no luck. Son is in Canada on business and if he can't reach them either, he has to be frantic.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weathe...-promo&index=15

13791960.jpg

Funnily enough I got a soaking when the remains of Alex decided to throw a thunder and lightning storm at me whilst I was fishing a small stream on Friday!

TL - leon

[ 14. August 2004, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Newt:

Been trying to reach a daughter-in-law in Orlando though and no luck. Son is in Canada on business and if he can't reach them either, he has to be frantic.

If you ask, someone might have info about communications in her area here Newt:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weathe...=orl-home-promo

Up to the minute local news and status for Orland districts here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weathe...specialbreaking

Good Luck (I've got my fingers crossed)

TL - leon

[ 14. August 2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Leon, if I was fishing there, I would just bring my line(s) in, secure them safely, then get the flip away from my rods. Lightening will usually find the path of least resistance, and kevlar or carbon rods/poles are perfect for that....

Take care!

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Leon - thanks but since we couldn't even get to voice mail for her cell phone, my guess is the problem is with storm damage to the cell towers or something. But if nothing heard by tomorrow I'll start worrying.

Fingers and everything else crossed for you Newt....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.