any car mechanics out there

nigelnibbles

its a renault espace 1988 model, and apparantly they are buggers to change, been quoted £800 by 1 garage, so if it sounds like the head gasket going will it be ok to drive carefully until i can get it done, :confused: :confused:

fraid the espace is known as the dearest vehicle to run.

certainly sounds like engine pressure blowing oil through the head gasket into the water.

don`t know how easy the engines are to get at but possibly a complete 2ltr from another reno scrapper would be cheaper?

later guys i`m going fishing

get more quotes

quote:

will it be ok to drive carefully until i can get it done,

yes but it WILL get worse and quickly ,billy5000 was ok for 2 weeks after spotting the oil in water but it failed on a dark night miles from anywhere ,if you have AA recovery all is well but if not look out :( if the hole gets big enough it will SUCK water as the piston goes down and on the way up BANG water cannot compress as well as air and your valves/head will die

[ 15. April 2004, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chris Goddard:

My thoughts Too Chesters1!! My thoughts too. But pulling the head would be best anyway!!

Chris

Thats a bit saucy isn't it? :D:D

"and a good head from a scrappy" from Chesters.

I thought this site was moderated :rolleyes:

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

The head gasket went on my old astra in Ipswich town centre.

What a laugh!!!!!!!

As I pulled away from a pedestrian crossing the engine lost all power, the car shuddered and their was a muted bang from the engine.

A big cloud of stinking evapourated water and oil mixture filled the air and made its way down the high street!

Belive me it stank! There were people running to get away from it!

I sat laughing me nuts off!

The missis was not to pleased that the car was knackered!

The best bit was that I had one days warranty left, one days free AA cover left and the car was booked in for a free service the next day as stated in the warranty terms!!!!!!!!!!!

The warranty covered the head gasket which was great.

The AA dropped me and the wife off at home and took the car to the garage.

The garage rang me and asked why the AA had just dumped the car on their forcourt with the keys.

Oh, the head gaskets gone I said.

The warrantry does not cover it the bloke tried to tell me.

I think you will find it does I told him and I have not invalidated the warrantry in any way.

I will call you back he says.

Two hours later he calls back and says we will call you when the car is fixed to arrange a day and time to drop the car off.

Whats it going to cost me?

Dont worry sir, everythings covered by the warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Before spending money, open the oil filler cap and put your finger in (NOT WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING!) and take a sample of the oil on your fingers. Sometimes the water 'beads' on the camshaft etc. If you then rub it between your fingers you can easily see if there is a oil/water mix.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

kleinboet:

Before spending money, open the oil filler cap and put your finger in (NOT WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING!) and take a sample of the oil on your fingers. Sometimes the water 'beads' on the camshaft etc. If you then rub it between your fingers you can easily see if there is a oil/water mix.

Sometimes you will see a creamy looking substance just under the filler cap. Apparently this is from only driving a few miles a day. Basically the vehicle doesn't get hot enough to burn off the condensation. It's what I am told anyway. Not always the case though.

Some of the renaults I have seen have a long filler cap and you can't get your fingers anywhere near the camshaft. Each model is different though. Just finding the engine size for one is a nightmare... :rolleyes:

Have you ever changed the coolant? Might be worth it to flush and change. See if you can't get rid of that oily film first. Unfortunately you can't always tell without ruling other things out. This is what I would do first.

Good luck Nigel

[ 18. April 2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...