ABU 506

Dom Andrew

you mean turning backwards?

some people remove the anti reverse pawl so it becomes a crude backwind ,occasionally lack of servicing lets it stick so it doesnt work.

probably best to strip it (its not a complicated reel to service) to see which of the above is so.

schematics are a google away

i prefer the anti reverse some remove them and dont mind rapped knuckles when you forget to hold the handle when you strike into a decent fish :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

you mean turning backwards?

some people remove the anti reverse pawl so it becomes a crude backwind ,occasionally lack of servicing lets it stick so it doesnt work.

probably best to strip it (its not a complicated reel to service) to see which of the above is so.

schematics are a google away

i prefer the anti reverse some remove them and dont mind rapped knuckles when you forget to hold the handle when you strike into a decent fish :D

When I was heavily into match fishing using fine lines my mates and I removed the small anti reverse pawl on our Abu 506's to prevent a large fish from inadvertantly breaking the line if it suddenly screamed off and we used to play the fish with no anti reverse. I refitted mine later which is a simple job.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

take of the side plate ,and look at the top right of the gears . you should see the pawl on its pin thus

DSC00109-1.jpg

they look like this ,when out of the reel .

DSC00130-1.jpg

if its missing and you really ,really want to put one back they do come up on e-bay (search; abu 506) or if you struggle to find one ,let me know and i`ll see if i can spare one ,as i`m down too my last 4 or 5

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Thanks everyone, and thanks Chavender, the photos were really useful. I've taken off the back and, yes, I think the pawl is missing <_< . All I can see is that small stubby pin amost hidden under the cog. I'll e-mail the seller and see if he still has it. If he hasn't I'll look for one on ebay, and if no luck there I'll be back to you chavender - thanks for the offer of one of your spares.

Dom.

Dom I wouldnt bother mate.I reckon its a better reel without it.Thats why so many top matchmen of the 70/80's removed them and why even ABU realised and produced the 501 for even such a relatively small market as the UK.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

my 501 has the pawl fitted .

i have experienced problems removing the pawl ,if your lucky enough to hook a big fish a lunge (as your now incharge of the drag by backwinding) can loosen the winding cup (before it merely tightened it against the anti reverse) and could unwind it fully ,experienced it on my 506 so i put the pawl back in.

try it yourself by holding the winding cup and backwinding the cup needs to be very tight to hold fast

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 11 months later...

Hi evrybody...my name is Milos and i am a newbee here...i am from Bosnia and i am a pike fisherman.I am sorry if i wrote here something i shouldnt but i see that you are talking about this reel which i have obught about 2 days ago.

One older lady near river selling some stuffs for fishing and i soo this little reel in her box. I have never been able to see something like this reel whit closed face and i have decided to buy it just to take a little bit thinking how its works.

I was googling for 2 hours just to see how the silk is going on spool....and i just figer it out by my self...

Evry older fisherman i have ask for advice they told me that they have never seen something like that and they told me that this little reel is peace of junk but somehow i know that is a little diamond :)....24 karat.

Reel is brand new...she have factory stamples on its self...and even the number of worker who inspected her....and also a stamp "NEBIKER AUGUST/BL".

I have figer out how it works but my english is not so good to understand purpuose of using it....for deep fishing(PIKE) or float fishing or something third.... If you be so kind to tell me more how to use this vintage reel...

And just to tell you i spend whole 10 euro to buy it.Reel is brand new...nobody never put a silk on it....

I dont know what to do,to make it busy or put it somewhere just to look nice :)...And i love the mechanisam in it...so simple but effective...real little diamond.

Other thing what i whant to ask you I will post tommorow,because i have one more reel bought from that lady and its also ABU GARCIA and also face closed but its diffrent...and its used,but in good condition.

For the first time writting here that would be all...

Welcome to Anglers' Net Milos.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Welcome to Anglers' Net Milos.

Thanks Newt :)... i have listed a lot of posts here and i can just tell you that here i can see much more tehnics about fishing then on my country web sites....i use a little bit a translator to understand some word because its a little bit tricky....i speak english from my sixth year :D..i watch a lot off movies :D but i can menage to found something i dont understand...

Today i was a little bit on the fishing....we have some factory for making pavement and they make 5 artificial lakes .....its full of pikes catfish and...saran(i dont know how to say this last on the english..).

I didnt plan to go fising but i whanted to try abu reel...i try float fishing, wobbler and meps long...

I can tell that float fishing is nice because silk wheel is closed so you cant make its cross himself...but when i put a meps long after second trowing i cath a pike :)... i correctly make a drag force...she was 1.3 kg..nice little pike and i havent problem to pull it out of whater whit a new vintage reel.I think that this reel can get out the whater a fish about 4-6 kg whit out any problems...

but still i dont know what is the best use of this reel....soo help.....