Collectable tackle

darrell.cook

Peter,thats interesting(dennis pye rod)Its practically unused and in its original cloth bag,I have seen them for sale in Angling Times once or twice in the past for around £50 quid,which, if that is the case probably not a bad return on the original price(dont remember what that was)which probably was'nt that much.

Chuby

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the late 70's - northern anglers had two reels.

Michel Match for river and lake work

Abu 501 for the cut - ONLY

and whoa be tied anyone who dared cross use their given functions . . . . pure sacriledge .

was it only the northerners that were nutty or was it a national thing ?

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Peter.Bl***y hell,that much :eek.I'll let you know if i think of parting with it.I also have a 'chapman's''The Carp,which is fibre glass,so probably not in the same league as cane!.Have got stacks of books,some back to the early 50's,also a couple of bound, years editions of Fishing magazine's(an angling times product I think),also same with Creel and Anglers world mags.

Chuby.

The Mitchell 300 series were without a doubt the most sucsessfull big fish reel for many years.I still use my 300S's for some carp and all of my tench and bream fishing.As all ready said I doubt wether my Shimmano's will give such long service.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Anyone know what my Mitchell 300S and spare spool is worth now? These skirted spool models were going for big money on eBay a year or so ago.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Dennis Pye and Peter Collins were quite close friends in the 1960s, I seem to recall.

Didn't the Pye rod have a test curve of about 4 lb? Surely it didn't cost £12 though, back in the 60s. That is the equivilant of about two weeks wages back then?

Fenboy

FenBoy, My Milward Swimversa cost me ten guineas back in 1955! I remember it well. Took me all summer to pay it off. Bought it off a Mr Collins as well. My father was furious that he allowed me tick on it, wasn't too pleased with me either!! Good cane cost, even then!

Chubby, don't give the books or Creel away either. Some books of that era now go for totally stupid money! Unless you are selling ofcourse!!

fenboy.Dont know the test curve of the rod,but it looks a brute compared with the modern rods,could well be up around the 3lb mark.As for cost,i really cant recall.If Peter says £12 then he could well be correct,although I must say i would have thought around £8.I will have to have a scoure through my old mags see if I can find out.I have a print of an add on my wall for Milbro Mitchell Mer(1963),priced at £8.19/-. 6d,and another for a B.james 'the trotter' cane rod(around the same era),priced at £12.12/-,so peter could well be right.

Chuby.

Yep! I can't find an ad for the Pye rod (although I can recall it appearing in AT around 1967??, complete with pic of him with a big pike). But I've checked some old Allcocks ANglers' Guides and the prices of tackle back then shocked me. So £12 wouldn't surprise me, after all.

We don't half get our tackle cheap these days, in comparitive terms.

Fenboy