Grass Carp

Tony B

Hey I went an excellent aquatics centre a couple weeks ago. An old swimming baths converted into a fishery. The swimming pool full of MASSIVE koi.

Upon walking around I saw smaller tanks with Tench, Orfe and also Grass Carp! I couldn't believe it! I had to have 2 Grass Carp and 2 Orfe!

I've got a few aquarium's in my house so I put them in the biggest tank and they are growing pretty quick!

BIG WHIMPS tho, anything spooks them, all the other fish in there are really friendly, the Grass Carp are spooked at the slightest thing, I suppose thats there wild instinct kicking in. Beautiful swimmers tho' and very very fast!

There reactions are lightning too, they swim full speed around the tank through obstacles and under bridges in the blink of an eye. May that be a lesson to anyone that wants to catch them. These buggers are quick.

the only grass carp I ever caught was only 3lbs but fought like a trout leaping and crashing around,and yes they are very quick.

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

Grass carp will vary from fighting like a mad tarpon to fighting like a wet rag.

The one thing they love to do though is to give up the fight at some point and not start again until you try to take them out of the net for weight and pictures. At that point they will usually go absolutely crazy.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

its called Lister Drive Pet Center i think, did you go to newsham park around the corner, i fish there, its ok.

My brother bought some of the tropicles from there, they all dies in his tank, the only ones that lived where from a diy store. The guy recently got prosectuted for mistreatment of animals, a few snakes, birds and other animals died their from no food water etc...

So you live in Liverpool i take it, where do you fish?

--- Stefan ---

I was once dragged around a french campsite lake by a grassy, Was a boiling hot day and the fish had taken to staying int the middle of a big weed bed with an opening to the main lake. My bro in law & me decided to drift some bread in from an open canoe to see the results, sure enough I kept getting takes and eventualy hooked one - I got it into open water & it dragged us about for 10 mins until we got to shore where I could fight it from the beach, eventualy it & me tired and a lad came with a big carp net & landed it, As I was pondering what the hell this monster 'mullet' was he informed me it was a grass carp & went 18Lb! Fan bloddy tastic fight! thx m8 whoever you were!

Later that year I helped some lads who kept casting for some grasy's on a Dorset trout lake (I now knew what they were!) I gave them some of my sandwich to use as a fly & the lad hooked it on a trout rod! me & the two lads took turns to play it & once we'd landed it a 'fishing widow' in a car nearby came and took some piccys that aparently were in the local paper, I think that one was 15Lb? nearly pulled the poor lad in!

All this has got me thinking of starting the season targeting them! :D

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

The one grass carp I have caught fought like a Tortouise on dope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid thing fought harder in the net!!!!!!!!

[ 11. May 2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!