Black Back Gull

Gillies

Hi, thank you very much for the kind comments :) - and correcting what kind of gull it is (Vagabond) as I say I have no idea what the birds are, just hunt try and get a half decent shot.

We watched in awe when at sea last summer as a Scour caught Black Back in the sky for not giving up some bait someone threw overboard, drowned it, plucked it, and got stuck into it.

I used a Canon Digital SLR camera with a 70-300 zoom lens, shooting at ISO 400, with a shutter speed of 1/800.

Will post more later.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a canon eos 300d and a bit of help from photoshop7

[ 06. May 2004, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest sslatter

I used to watch solitary greater black-backed hunting the shore at Worthing.

You could always tell when one was about..the other gulls would go crazy and take flight in huge numbers. A greater black-backed can clear a beach of thousands of gulls and other seabirds in a minute or so.

And I've never got over how big they are-enormous birds. I wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley..

Nice photo mate. Did your non canon lenses work straight away, or did you have to get them re-chipped?

The Sigma APO 70-300 II I used is a Canon fit, and worked staight away out of the box with my 300D.

Heres a wee Starling with same lens.

wee_starling.jpg

Again, sorry for size.

Gillies

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Thankyou,excellent picture.

I have been trying to take pictures of Goldfinches and Siskins tonight with little avail.

Judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

That starling picture is very interesting (and good). I read that the resolution of computer monitors is effectively fixed at a fairly low level. However your picture shows lots of fine detail, which seems to contradict this!

Were you a non digital canon SLR user (like me) before you went for the 300D? If so, how did you find the transition from taking film pics to digi pics?

Found the transitions from P&S film to P&S digi very easy, loved been able to wipe shots that were useless.

I was a non digi-SLR point and shoot since 2000 - and got my 300D in October of last year. When I first got it I was just using it like a P&S at first. When I started "attempting" using it proper I had countless disastorous shots, mixing up my exposure with aperture, with shutter speed - I just didn't have a clue.

I'm really still beginning to get to know how to use it, is great fun learning.

Gillies

www.gilliesmackenzie.com