Any gardeners on here?

Howard 13

Just been having a sort out in my garden and have a bit of spare land 14ft by 4ft which I want to grow something on.

I'd rather it be vegetables but would be interested to hear suggestions of anything a bit different flower wise. (has to be low maintenance though )

The problem is it's going to be shady nearly all of the time.

Ta,

HB.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends a lot on your soil. Is it light or heavy? Is it acid or alkali? What is growing nearby and what is casting the shade?

Ferns love a bit of shade and are very low maintenance.

If it's shady I'd forget vegetables.

just get a few old packets of mixed annuals and sprinkle them on ,we did 4 years ago and never had to dig it again ,the california poppies last all winter and most of the others pop up at the first hint of warmth ,grab a few cuttings from parks of hebes and bobs your uncle an all year round patch ,ignore the weeds except for nettles but even they attract wildlife.

strangly our veg patch cannot grow peas ,even the mildew resistant ones get mildew once a couple of pods form ,french beans on the other hand grow rampantly and just 1 6ft row fills our freezer

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson