Flooding in Luton

Newt

This picture was posted to http://www.wunderground.com by dasyphotos.

I didn't realize you folks had seen so much rain recently - or did something else lead to the overflow? I assume the boats are in an existing canal or river.

Would the fishing be any good while the water is that muddy and high?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I lived in Luton for 22 years and while I was there I never once saw a river big enough to take boats of that size! :confused: The River Lea rises in and flows though Luton but it would hardly float a rowing boat. I think that the park pond is wider and deeper and there is nothing bigger than rowing boats on that! :)

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

sandpipper:

There a new speed limit there now 6 knots

Hmmm, that is a bit faster than the traffic can move in certain areas during the course of a day!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

It may well have been Luton and that may well be the River Lea overflowing its banks. However it isn't recent. This was what the weather in Luton looked like in April 2000.

'April. The wettest since 1756 in England and Wales, with an average of 144m of rain across England and Wales. Notable cold spell early in the month as a cold front moved south on the 2-3rd, bringing the heaviest snowfall of the "winter" to many places in the south. Luton airport was closed by snow on the night of Monday 3rd as a cold front brought Arctic air up against the much more mild air that had been hanging on in the south. Luton had over 7cms of wet snow; a total of 66m of rain fell in 40 hours.

Widespread flooding in the East Midlands and East Anglia. Brilliant display of aurora borealis (which I again manage to miss) on the night of the 6-7th. England, Wales, and parts of eastern Scotland were particularly wet. The southeast was particularly wet, with three times the average rainfall. Places in Kent and Herefordshire recorded 400%! On the other hand, parts of the northwest were quite dry. A month with sunshine slightly beneath average and average temperatures, the final warm third cancelling out the effects of the cold start'

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

argyll:

It may well have been Luton and that may well be the River Lea overflowing its banks. However it isn't recent.  

Mayhaps not.

According to the claims of the photographer who submitted the photo to the site Newt linked to it was very recent....

Caption:

an early flooding this year!

Picture taken Monday October 17, 2005 at Luton, England

Categories: flood, storm damage

Camera Type: Nikon D2X

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Thats not Luton, the River Lee is only a brook until it reaches Luton Hoo.

No thats not Luton Bedfordshire

just one more cast then I'am off home

Bonzo - the properties are just what I named the picture when I copied it so I could directly post it here. Any spelling is mine and I goofed it. Here is the original posting on http://www.wunderground.com

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President