Wrong Kind of Snow!

Steve Burke

Yes, that's right, transport problems are being blamed on the wrong kind of snow!

In fairness, when the temperature is hovering around freezing the snow melts and then re-freezes. It's therefore difficult to clear, plus of course it's very icy.

We were in Germany a couple of weeks ago, and with a similar amount of snow even most side roads were clear. But then the temperature was well below freezing and the snow was powdery and so easy to clear.

In our immediate locality in east Kent, Shepway District Council has done a pretty good job of keeping the main roads open. I'm not sure though over the rest of Shepway.

How about your local council?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

It's the right kind of snow; just the wrong kind of people in charge of getting rid of it!

[ 03. March 2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I was listening to a talk show last year when the trains were up the spout because of the "wrong type" of snow. A guy called in who had worked for the Swedish Railways and confirmed that the Swedish Railways were able to deal with their snow because it was usually nice fluffy powdery snow. When they had snow melting and freezing it would cause them problems just as here.

[ 03. March 2005, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: A Worm On One End........ ]

Ahem!! Gentlemen I am old enough to remember steam trains running in ALL weathers. I am sure that you wouldn't have to look too far to find photos of them doing just this!!

The problem is fair and square with the railways as the old steam engines were equipped with a thing called a SAND BOX. This sand box, controlled from inside the cab, would ensure that a steady trickle of sand on to the rails, allowing the wheels to have traction with the rails. The railways, in their wisdom, decided that this caused too much wear on the rails and should be stopped. That's why they cancell trains when it snows. :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ 03. March 2005, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Steve Burke:

Yes, that's right, transport problems are being blamed on the wrong kind of snow!

In our immediate locality in east Kent, Shepway District Council has done a pretty good job of keeping the main roads open. I'm not sure though over the rest of Shepway.

How about your local council?

Medway - Chatham Grammar School for Girls closed early as did a good number of others and the roads weren't cleared at all.

Arriva cancelled their bus service in Medway, so I'd say they didn't do very well. The M2, M20 and M26 were all closed. A man from maidstone took over 4 hours to drive a 26 mile (40 minute) jouney to work in Tonbridge Wells. There's a piece in today's Times about it.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Tony U:

It's the right kind of snow; just the wrong kind of people in charge of getting rid of it!

Right. Have just seen a "spokesman" for the highways department on local telly, explaining why the gritting programme was not working. Apparently it was the wrong kind of traffic using the roads after the gritting!

I have driven steam locomotives in heavy snow, using sand for adhesion. The wear and tear on rails referred to is a result of overuse/misuse.

Used sparingly sand was not a problem for 130 years from 1829 to 1959 !

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...