Bird fanciers miss this one

Snatcher

The birds that have no close season include....

Woodpigeon but not stock doves., magpies, crows, rooks, jackdaws and jays. All the above do have some use, woodies to eat wing quills from crows for floats. plumage from all except the woodie in fly tying.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snatcher:

You should hear this magpie clog dance Little Tinca! Just had this one bird in mind and wanted to make sure it was legal to blow its F-----g head off! xxx

i`m with bits and bobs on this one why kill them !!just for fun?

Might settle for earplugs Wordbender

Thanks for all the info,most appreciated xxx

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I completely agree with Wordbender's excellent post, but once you've sorted out that lot, I would also agree that controlling magpies is useful.

I believe the magpie population in England and Wales has become very large. Something to do with thriving well in the semi rural environments created by man, I'm told.

They and other corvids are prolific killers of songbirds and research that can be quoted by another AN member (Jim, I think) shows that controlling the corvid population in an area will increase songbirds by 30%.

As to the legal side, bringing the Wildlife and Countryside act in line with Europe in the 90's does mean that there is a blanket ban on shooting all birds. This is then modified by the issue of a number of different general Open Licences by the Government. You do not need to hold one of these licences to shoot the birds listed, but you do need to know the circumstances that you can do so, so you can explain yourself to the RSPB or Police, if necessary.

I've got hard copies of some of the licences and will post a link to scanned versions later.

[ 01. June 2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Lid ]

Snatcher:

Might settle for earplugs Wordbender

Thanks for all the info,most appreciated xxx

Good shout, mate. And I'm pleased to say that it looks like I was wrong about your attitude.

If you ever need any 'technical' help with your airgun shooting, I'll be glad to oblige.

All the best.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Lid:

once you've sorted out that lot, I would also agree that controlling magpies is useful.

It certainly is, and anyone who has seen these birds killing songbird nestlings would have little problem with that fact.

It's all about balance, and too many magpies can easily upset it.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

quote:

I've got hard copies of some of the licences and will post a link to scanned versions later.

Sorry, can't find them. They must be in my two year's worth of domestic filing which hasn't been done yet.

Some useful info on magpies is here.

Direct links to the relevant government licences are here.

Interesting sites Lid. I know that the magpie population has snowballed in the north east of England lately. Driving to and from work on shifts I an sure I must see 40 or 50 each journey. If I think on tomorrow driving in on early shift I will do a count just out of interest. A lot of the time they are munching on road kills,mainly rabbits.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Same down my way in the south Snatcher. When i was a kid (long time ago) we had loads of sparrows, starlings, blackbirds, the odd thrush and a couple of types of tits (ooer missus). Now its mostly magpies and pigeons.

Gary

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><(((º>

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´><((((º>