Bird fanciers miss this one

Snatcher

Leon Roskilly:

Leon Roskilly:

If you are really set on shooting birds then may I suggest you only shoot Cormorants.

I had a phone call from a very conservation-minded sea angler a couple of weeks ago.

He'd called to inform me of around 30 cormorants he'd found drowned in a gill-net.

My spontaneous whoop of delight completely threw him!

Utterly shocked he was!!!

Tight Lines - leon

When snorkelling in Langstone Harbour a couple of years ago I got caught in an unmarked gill net. Fortunately I cut myself free. Upon close inspection I saw several fish in the net so I informed Southern Sea Fisheries about this illegal net but Portsmouth was obviously too far from Poole for them to travel. I then informed the Langstone Harbour Board, what did I expect them to do about it was their reply, netting was legal. I explained that the net was unmarked, a danger to swimmers, in a bass nursery area, to dead protected birds in it, a tern and cormorant. Next time they had a boat that way they'd have a look was the response. I phoned the RSPB and they had the net removed within half an hour. My only regret was that they didn't want to wait and catch the culprits, they just wanted the net out. So if you have a problem with illegal netting, don't bother with the authorities, contact the RSPB. By the way, cormorants are a protected species so it is illegal to kill them.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norm B:

So if you have a problem with illegal netting, don't bother with the authorities, contact the RSPB. By the way, cormorants are a protected species so it is illegal to kill them.
That's interesting Norman.

I'll add it to the information on dealing with illegal netting at:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/sacn/ill_net.htm

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Norm, get yourself a Larsen trap. It's more efficient than any air rifle.

http://www.songbird-survival.org.uk

[ 04. June 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Whilst we are on about Magpies .. Did you know that they are one of the worst killers of pond fish ?

Unlike the Heron (which eats the whole fish) a Magpie will drag a fish out of the water and then just eat the "good" bits by chopping out the fishes liver, roe etc.

It then leaves the rest of the carcase on your lawn .. ready for you to collect it !

Shoot the buggers !

The Older I get .. The better I was.