trotting with a small multiplier

jeff smith

I'm a great fan of trotting with centrepin reels but I'm about to buy my first small baitcaster multiplier and wonder if anyone on here has ever tried trotting with one of these miniature marvels?I'm convinced that i've read about it being done somewhere on the net,and I think Its use involved some offset rod rings,allowing the reel to be fished on top of the rod,but the line to end up below the blank in the conventional manner.Anybody know anything about this-or am I just dreaming?

Seems like quite a good alternative use for these reels.

I could see how one might be handy for trotting heavy pike floats, but it might not be so good for trotting light coarse tackle in low flow.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The ringing arangement you are talking about is called "acid" or "spiral wrap".

As Lutra said good for trotting with pike gear but I wouldnt bother trying with lighter gear.

Thanks Budgie, that's it-spiral wrap I thought i'd seen it somewhere.But I'm still convinced that I've seen someone using a tiny multiplier with some fairly heavy trotting floats say 4AAAplus.Looking at these reels closely,it appears that their tiny spools need LESS inertia to get going than my okuma or trudex pins.Think i might give it a try.The advantage to me personally might be one of comfort.For some reason i tend to suffer from numb or tingling fingers on the hand that i use to control the pin after a while.First impressions with the little multiplier are that it fits nicely in my rod hand with spool tension being controlled by the thumb.I'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks Budgie, that's it-spiral wrap I thought i'd seen it somewhere.But I'm still convinced that I've seen someone using a tiny multiplier with some fairly heavy trotting floats say 4AAAplus.Looking at these reels closely,it appears that their tiny spools need LESS inertia to get going than my okuma or trudex pins.Think i might give it a try.The advantage to me personally might be one of comfort.For some reason i tend to suffer from numb or tingling fingers on the hand that i use to control the pin after a while.First impressions with the little multiplier are that it fits nicely in my rod hand with spool tension being controlled by the thumb.I'll let you know how i get on.

I have an old angling book from the 70s Roach by Dave Stuart (part of the Osprey set of angling books)Without getting out of the loft i think it is this book that shows a photo of Dave Stuart trotting for roach using a baby ABU multiplier.

You might want to have a look at some of These reels.

Both the Wally Marshall and Uncle Buck's gear is designed for light tackle. They have small multipliers designed for light line and small lures/floats/whatever. They also offer rods.

The spiral wrap on the rings will probably need to be a custom or DIY job but I've done several and its not difficult.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Peter - I sorta knew that when I posted. :whistling:

Crappie are an excellent eating fish and classed as a game fish (not the same classification system as yours) which means they can only be taken by non-commercial means so rod & reel or pole as opposed to netting. They also have the most delicate mouth tissue of any fish I know of and are not really hard fighters so light, delicate gear is used when fishing for them.

Purpose made crappie rods, reels, etc. are the most similar to UK coarse gear of any you'll find in the States.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President