Marker Float Set Up

Elton

Anyone got any recommendations for any affordable reels for use with a marker float?

Also, what are the best braids?

Oh, and one other thing, does anyone produce a weight made from a harder metal than lead?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Yep, there are harder 'leads' around but they are also a fair bit lighter.

As for marker reels, I use old Emblems for mine. You can pick them for under 50 quid I think. If you get anything too cheap the internal parts of the reel fall apart, due to the repeated heavy use the reel gets.

Rob.

Cheers, Rob. What rod and line do you use?

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Cheers, Rob. What rod and line do you use?

Elton,

I use a cheap normark 2 1/4 tc rod for short distance, with braid (22lb hutchy sabre braid I think). For long range, I use an old fishing rod - mine is a 12'6 3 1/4 Bob Morris rod. I wouldn't buy a special 'marker rod' because there's really no such thing and IMO you want a rod that casts like a fishing rod, so use a fishing rod. For range I use 10lb big game, with a 25lb mono shock leader.

Rob.

Elton, here's that lead I was telling you about, bit pricey mind you.

http://anglingintelligence.com/s_products_...ndex.php?id=001

That looks good. I may well bite the bullet and get one of those.

Gaffer would approve of it, too, with it being stainless and shiny :D

Elton,

I use a cheap normark 2 1/4 tc rod for short distance, with braid (22lb hutchy sabre braid I think). For long range, I use an old fishing rod - mine is a 12'6 3 1/4 Bob Morris rod. I wouldn't buy a special 'marker rod' because there's really no such thing and IMO you want a rod that casts like a fishing rod, so use a fishing rod. For range I use 10lb big game, with a 25lb mono shock leader.

Rob.

I think I'll do similar to you, Rob. I currently use a 2.75lb Nash Outlaw, but will get something a bit stiffer for the longer work and sort some braid out.

I also use Emblems and would recommend them. For rods, I use a Fox Ranger 3lb tc. It's really stiff, so ideal for a marker rod. I need to get some braid on the reel though, until now I've been using 15lb mono.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Do your Emblems have the baitrunner conversion, or do you have to fiddle with the front drag every two seconds?

Do your Emblems have the baitrunner conversion, or do you have to fiddle with the front drag every two seconds?

I threw away my conversions because they mess with the drag settings and you can't lock up the spools with the distance setups - except on my short range marker setup. It's better to fiddle with the drag than get a mono, or worse still braid, line burn !

Rob.