Stillwater Barbel

Rich si

Im fishing a local stillwater at the weekend and it has been stocked with Barbel.

I was thinking along the line of a scaled down carp set up for them using lighter leds and pva meshed bags with corn and pellets and corn on a hair rig.

Would this be ideal or what approach would you use?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i fish a stillwater which has just been stocked with some small (handful) barbel.

Although they are only small, they are taking baits intended for carp, namely luncheon meat and worm.

Ive not had any whilst fishing bream style(ie on the deck and further out) but usually pick them up whilst fishing within 'tench' range.

not sure if they will move out into the open water when they are bigger but they are certainly going to put in an appearance when fishing if im fishing on the slope, maybe 1 RL out.

ive had them whilst fishing with 6lb fluro h/link, with a size 10 or 12 PR28 and 8lb mainline, on the deck in about 4-5ft of water (overkill i know, but im after carp, not barbel particularly)

Hope this helps.

Chris

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

I'm with Liam here!

Paul

Most of the carp methods will work for stillwater barbel, although you'll catch a lot more carp than barbel :) .

I've had quite a few out of Makins in the 6oz to 8lb range. Most have fallen to floatfished luncheonmeat in the margins, and some to double sweetcorn or double maggot on the method feeder.

Stillwater Barbel - always good to provoke a discussion on here.

I can understand concerns about pike since they can and do suffer from bad handling.

But with barbel in lakes/ponds, the only knocks I've really heard are:

- they don't grow as strong so don't fight as well

- they can't reproduce so are emotionally unfulfilled

Is there something I have missed about them physically suffering or taking damage from the lack of current in lakes?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

One of the issues Newt is oxygen. Moving water tends to be more oxygenated than still water. The fish are accustomed to moving water with a higher oxygen content than is likely in a still water, especially during the summer. Apparently barbel scrap like hell and need more oxygen than still water species. I don't suppose for one minute that they can suffer as such, especially those introduced to still waters at an early age. They are a river fish, and that is the crux of the matter!