Cod, off the menu

barry luxton

The bottom line the decline of cod stocks over the years is totally due to overfishing the 60ss it was knee deep the 70ss it was knee deep the 70ss saw the rockhopper trawl being introduced and used for the first time off the east coast peices of rough ground which had never seen a trawl were now being hammered big catches were now being landed locally it was a licence to print money the decline in time was inevitable the 80ss still hugh amounts of fish were being landed the 90ss saw bigger and more and powerfull boats with bigger nets chaseing less fish till hey presto the stocks in trouble and then you ask yourself WHY the writings on the bloody wall but people go round the houses to ignor it.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest challenge
The bottom line the decline of cod stocks over the years is totally due to overfishing the 60ss it was knee deep the 70ss it was knee deep the 70ss saw the rockhopper trawl being introduced and used for the first time off the east coast peices of rough ground which had never seen a trawl were now being hammered big catches were now being landed locally it was a licence to print money the decline in time was inevitable the 80ss still hugh amounts of fish were being landed the 90ss saw bigger and more and powerfull boats with bigger nets chaseing less fish till hey presto the stocks in trouble and then you ask yourself WHY the writings on the bloody wall but people go round the houses to ignor it.

paul.

But there,s been next to no trawlers fishing these same grounds for the last 8 to 10 years and you keep saying that there’s loads of fish off Whitby so there shouldn’t be any problem Paul, what would your bottom line explanation be to the decline of ling from the wrecks around Whitby over the last 10 years or so? That’s if there is a decline? could it be down to technologies and the amount of angling boats that now find it easy to fish where the trawlers cannot go and the fact that there are next to no commercial fishermen working nets in the local wrecks because they haven’t got the quota to fish them?

Regards.

Edited by challenge

paul.

Why was it not knee deep in cod during the 30's40's and even 50's? I suspect there are more cod in the North Sea at this moment than there was then.

Are cod in trouble then?

If they are perhaps it would be best to limit your catches then Paul afterall cod are going to need all the help DEFRA can give them.

wiggle round that.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Why was it not knee deep in cod during the 30's40's and even 50's? I suspect there are more cod in the North Sea at this moment than there was then.

I started sea-fishing in the UK at the end of the '60s (mostly from charters then our own boat out from Mersea Island).

I don't recall that established anglers then talked about 'the brilliant cod fishing we are having these days'.

It seemed to be just accepted as normal winter fishing (as were good catches of plaice in the creeks*, and flounder and eels off the beaches).

(And as opposed to haddock fishing which was apparently declining then, non-existant in that area now).

* We never bothered 'fishing' for plaice. we just swung our gear over the side whilst still moored, caught a couple of plaice and fried them up for breakfast, then slipped the bouy and headed out to deeper water to go fishing!

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Why was it not knee deep in cod during the 30's40's and even 50's?

I suspect there are more cod in the North Sea at this moment than there was then.

Are cod in trouble then?- Wurzel

For a reasonably bright chap, you're an idiot!

B)

Guest challenge

Are cod in trouble then?

If they are perhaps it would be best to limit your catches then Paul afterall cod are going to need all the help DEFRA can give them.

wiggle round that.

There’s certainly more small codlings in the fishery today in this part of the world than there has been as far back as the late 50,s or at least that’s as far back as I have researched yet through SFC fishing reports archives.

Guest challenge
For a reasonably bright chap, you're an idiot!

B)

Sorry HA but one thing that wurzel is not and that’s an idiot. I think that for all who participate on this forum, you should withdraw that remark.

Regards.

There’s certainly more small codlings in the fishery today in this part of the world than there has been as far back as the late 50,s or at least that’s as far back as I have researched yet through SFC fishing reports archives.

That has to be one of the most crazy statements i have ever heard in a long time and you work for the local NSFC john the sea isnt a 20th in numbers of cod as to what it was in the 80ss 87 and 88 the small codling in 87 was unbeleivable that winter do you want me to give you links on angling forums showing just how bad the fishing is this year its unbeleivable record crap catches on the shore pair trawling is killing the local stock how you are allowed to use near on 1000 horse power right upto the beach is madness pair trawling effort is 10-1 against a single trawl that is what cefas got when they did a study about 6or 7 years ago by 3 local boats.

This is a post which 1 angler posted up regarding the john smiths open match on sunday this part of the uk used to offer probably some of the best shore fishing for cod now its it has gone so far down its shocking and something needs to be about the present situation fast people are asking serious questions. WHY.

Barnsley Chop

Rockling

Re: Its Knee Deep In Codlings

« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:29:52 AM »QuoteThe posts on this forum speak for themselves. There have been next to no good catches this year from the shore. Apparently 120 people fished the redcar Open yesterday and 1 solitary codling was caught. Take a look at the fifty cod challenge thread. Only 2 lads have more than 10 fish in a whole month, you are supposed to be the best catchers around, either your all rubbish or there is no fish for you this year. I have been reading that anglersnet forum for a while now, there seems to be some real loony tunes on there as illustrated in the link.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

North Sea Cod Watch:

http://www.cefas.co.uk/data/fisheries-scie...a-codwatch.aspx

Final Report:

http://www.cefas.co.uk/media/129885/codwat...tfinaldefra.pdf

Talking to fishermen from the South-East yesterday, there seems to be a lack of small cod this year, as the 2005 (and 2006) year class (strong in the South-East) continue to grow in individual size but decline in numbers.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust