Rod length

Tangled

I'm thinking of buying a new light float/match rod I had the shakespear 13' mach 2 match rod at £50 in mind then saw the 15' mach 3 match rod at £85 in the same shop they weight in the hand did not seem noticeably different. So I normally fish still waters with sufficient room around me for the extra length but some swims are 8-10ft deep. So what are the advantages of a longer rod such as is it easier to cast further with similar tackle with the longer rod?

Thanks for any comments however obvious you think they are I would prefer to make an informed decision before parting with my money.

Dave

Are you fishing with a centrepin or a fixed spool reel?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Longer rods are great for controling top and bottom floats that bit further out when trotting. Handy for fishing deep swims without having to use a slider float.But a pain under trees or in tight spots.Simple as that really.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Fixed spool and probably will be for the foreseeable future

Dave

Well, I would probably consider rod action, casting weight and target fish before rod length. Carp or skimmers?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Personal preference is for a bit of choice.

The Preston Sentient has just gone out of production.

You should be able to pick up one of them secondhand 13 with a 2 extention, for 80 quid, from one of the tackle tarts who is upgrading.

I've got one. Amazing rod for that money, maybe not so clever at the full 250 quid RRP. The best rod I've ever used.