International records

The Flying Tench

The Roach record given in the IGFA 2004 handbook is 4 lb 1 oz. Set in 1975 by a Mr R G Jones at Colwick, Nottingham.

That is the record as recognised by the International Game Fishing Association.

Two points:-

1. Not all record fish are submitted to that body (for example their barbel record is only 5 lb 10 oz)

2. To set a new record, the fish must outweigh the previous record by at least 2 oz (For fish up to 25lb - above 25lb the new fish must be 0.05% or more heavier than the previous record

As for "do we (I assume you mean the UK) hold any international records" - I'll look, but off hand can say Conger at 133 lb (Devon) and European Ling at 88 lb (Shetland) plus of course the roach mentioned above

PS

Thinlipped Grey Mullet at 5 lb 4 oz (R Taw Devon)

Thornback Ray at 16 lb 12 oz (Channel Is)

Porbeagle Shark at 507 lb (Caithness Scotland)

Common Skate at 214 lb (Scapa Flow, Orkney)

plus a 57 lb Monkfish from Fenit in Ireland (thats the true monkfish or angel shark - the "monkfish tails" of the fishmonger are angler fish)

As you will realise, these are ONLY the IGFA records- there are no other official "world records", and in many cases the UK records are greater than those of the IGFA - like the barbel for instance, and the IGFA tench (10 lb from Sweden)

Perhaps AN members should make an effort to bust a few of these IGFA "records" and put AN on the map. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

[ 24. October 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Unfortunately IGFA doesn't accept fish caught by methods that are common practice outside the US, hair rigging for example.

If IGFA wants to be truly international then perhaps it should accept the rules of the country from where a potential record is caught.

I really don't think IGFA should be setting the rules for other countries when its own line class records are rather less than acceptable to so many anglers.

The idea of truly International Records is a nice one.

Some of the IGFA records and rules are so ludicrous that I have no interest in them at all.Just take a look at the farce surounding "fly" caught (big)game fish from a boat.Also despite having a flirtatious period with ultra light line fishing as a teenager I strongly object to any promotion of this activity through their line class records.Many incidently that could be quite easily claimed by uk anglers.Glad to say I only know of one uk angler in recent years who has made a claim and he is a renowned dick head whose name I am unable to post on here any way!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The IGFA is far from perfect, but I support it for the political clout it is establishing in protecting the interests of anglers internationally. I don't agree with all its rules, but accept its overall package as beneficial to anglers.

Its rules are USA oriented because most of its members are USA citizens. The answer is for more other anglers to join and suggest rule changes from within.

I agree with Budgie re line classes - just as there is an upper limit (130 lb or less for some species - eg for pike it is 50 lb) so there should be a LOWER limit (different for each species)below which records are not accepted.

I do not think it "sporting" to go after fish weighing in excess of 100 lb with lines as low as 2 lb BS. There is nothing "sporting" about leaving broken lines in fish due to attempting an ultra-light "line class" record. "Success" in this field is almost always due to a fast boat chasing the hooked fish in open snag-free water until it tires.

The fact that the 2 lb classes for Goliath grouper, Halibut, and many other large bottom-living fish that can't be chased in this way are vacant makes the point.

....and before you ask, yes, I like to fish with light tackle - but not if it means an unacceptable risk of breaking off in a fish.

....and yes, it gives one a sense of achievement to land a big fish on gear not designed for it.

I have landed carp over 20 lb hooked on roach tackle - so have many other anglers. I have landed skate over 150 lb hooked on 20 lb gear meant for black-mouthed doggies. So have other anglers, Davy Holt and Spanner amongst them. All in the day's work for Anglersnetsters, but the greatest miracle since the loaves and fishes if it's achieved by a contributer to the angling tabloids.

However, no way would I fish DELIBERATELY with 3 lb line for carp or 20 lb line for skate. Nor would I encourage anyone else to do so.

[ 25. October 2004, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

Peter Waller:

Unfortunately IGFA doesn't accept fish caught by methods that are common practice outside the US, hair rigging for example.

Nor does it allow mammalian flesh or blood to be used for baiting up - so you can forget those tins of Bacon Grill :D

[ 25. October 2004, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor