hi from steve (newbe)

maxpower

hi

I am thinking of having a go at centre pin fishing BUT which reel can you honistly tell me what would be the best reel to start with ???? i was thinking J W Young BJ Centrepin 4.5inch or OKUMA TRENT CENTREPIN REEL

there a big difference in price the OKUMA seems to have a big following but i like the look for J W YOUNG :wallbash: PLEASE HELP

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless money is not a consideration, you might want to start with a good but inexpensive pin just to see if they suit you.

I've never used one (they aren't well suited to lure fishing) but some of our members have amassed sizable pin collections that are probably worth more than my home. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

hi

I am thinking of having a go at centre pin fishing BUT which reel can you honistly tell me what would be the best reel to start with ???? i was thinking J W Young BJ Centrepin 4.5inch or OKUMA TRENT CENTREPIN REEL

there a big difference in price the OKUMA seems to have a big following but i like the look for J W YOUNG :wallbash: PLEASE HELP

I think you be better off with a sheffield than either of those, just my opinion.

Feel free to read the other endless threads on this topic then go out and do what Tigger has recommended as that is a fine answer from him.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Feel free to read the other endless threads on this topic then go out and do what Tigger has recommended as that is a fine answer from him.

Hi and welcome to the forum,I was given an alcock flickem and I bought a tfg xpin,compared to alcock the tfg is not that good so I don't use it that much ,the alcock even runs in very slow current,do you know any one who can lend you a good reel,if you buy a cheep one that doesn't work that good it might put you off.The way you load your line onto the reel can also make difference,some people prefer it clockwise,some anticlockwise.

Edited by dapper64

hi

I'm in agreement with Tigger and Alan.

I love using my 'Okuma Sheffield' (see below) it's a superb pin and has a lot of fans.

KMCentrePin%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

I use mine for longtrotting for Roach, Dace, Chub and Barbel as well as when I'm stalking Carp and it is a superb reel.

Another really excellent pin for trotting is the AnglingNet centrepin which some pin users on this forum rate even better, it's my next pin hopefully and has great writeups.

see review here

It's a personal preference but I steer clear of star-drags on a centrepin because I feel it must add extra weight to the spool and add extra inertia; meaning that it may not start turning quite as easily, I also steer clear of line guards (unless they are removable) which get in the way when I'm trying to cast.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

if money was NOT a consideration ( the jw young is now £220. on the net ) would you still pick the okuma sheffield ???????????

I have several Youngs reels and they are very nice. If you like the look of them and the price doesn't put you off then they are a very good reels. Just curious which model your lookin to purchase ?

I have several Youngs reels and they are very nice. If you like the look of them and the price doesn't put you off then they are a very good reels. Just curious which model your lookin to purchase ?

I like the look of the Y2080

J W Young BJ Centrepin 4.5inch do you have one ?? i can get one for £220 i only want one centre pin so i want to make shore i pick the right one !!!

I like the look of the Y2080

J W Young BJ Centrepin 4.5inch do you have one ?? i can get one for £220 i only want one centre pin so i want to make shore i pick the right one !!!

I have both of them and they're excellent reels. It's just making your mind up which to go for if those are the reels you've decided on. Good luck.