Starting Feeder Fishing

Chub Frenzy

I want to feeder fish a fishery called tunnel barn farm. It has a island about 15m from the bank and was thinking about chucking a feeder out for the biggins in the lake. Is this a good method for winter? I need t oknow what type of feedr u recomend - maybe open end filled with groundbait with a pellet on the hook?

What are the best baits to go with a feeder?

Thanks

CHUBFRENZY

hey, method feeders are really good,

this is the type my dad uses, wich is good, so take aloook :)http://www.reelfishing.co.uk/method-feeder-korda.jpg

also bait wise in it, you could try soaking feed pellets so they go all soft, then mold it around that method feeder, sounds abit.. strange, but its really effective for carp bream and tench :) hope i helped

jack.

Pretty much any method feeder will work. I'm really not that fussy as long as...

A: It holds my groundbait without flying everywhere and...

B: It's heavy enough to get it where I want it.

Let's face it, it's going to be covered in a massive ball of groundbait, so the cosmetics are secondary (make your own!!). As long as it has the weight to get your groundbait and hookbait to the desired target area, jobs-a-good-un.

It's a good idea to go see your local Asian shopkeeper and ask him to keep all his 'dated' bread for you. It's an almost limited supply of brown crumb. Liquidise and dry and you have you brown crumb ready for use. Add to that what you will. Corn, frozen maggots, minced prawn, 4mm pellets and liberal squirt of your favourite liquid additive.

Of late, a frozen prawn on a hair (4" from the method feeder is enough) is my killer on the method. I've had carp, tench, orfe, roach, bream. If prawns don't appeal you can also feed 4mm Pineapple (use nothing else) soft hooker pellets by 'Dynamite' and sweetcorn (red or plain) on the hair.

I think it's the Drennan feeders I use by the way but they're all much of muchness.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Method feeders by their nature work best when there are plenty of fish competing for food. You will not miss the bite when it comes but do expect lots of plucks and twitches as the fish attack the offerings before one finds the hook! If you go for a method feeder you will get best results with around a 3 inch hooklength. Good luck

Most important tip of all when using any type of feeder is to keep your casting acurate and regular.Easy as that.

Yep and to add to that, you also need to think about the release time of your ground bait, especially so with block-end feeders and method feeders. Its not good having your ground bait fall off or out of your feeder when you have reeled halfway back in, as the fish will start to feed there and not where you are casting to.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

A lot of regulars fish the method on a long pole, no float, just wait until the elastic pulls out.

Not sure if the method is still working now the weather has cooled off.

Why not? Method feeders work on the bottom, where the fish are most likely to be at this time of year. I'd be more inclined to use feeders at this time of year than anything else. At least that's what Ronnie McLeod (Magiscroft) tells me.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I have used many feeders over the last 50 odd years, but I plan to switch to those amazing PVA bags which if they work and dissolve as well as they are alleged to do. Will guarantee there can be no resistance for the fish to feel, which in my experience might help for those unsure bits and nips. I will let you know how they work out.

Many years ago when young and fit we scuba dived to watch how well feeders were doing and most of them at the time did not fully drop the bait until the line was either struck or retrieved, after our youthful experiments we tried ground baiting with marble sized balls but it was not as good as we hoped for, if the target area was much over forty yards/metres out. Why did we choose marble sizes because we felt that was nearer to the size passing birds (seagulls and ducks mainly) dropped berries, nuts, slugs and excreta into the water so that size struck us as more natural and the sort of noise the fish would be most used to.

The best results we had was from marble size up to small conker (horse chestnut seed) sizes but only out to 35 to 40 yards/metres, over that the angle of the throw is wrong, even with a good catapult firing mainly upwards and you tend to ground bait an area a bit further than the area you are fishing in, maybe only a few feet but even that is too far and a waste of ground bait.

Great wads of ground bait in a feeder or balls thrown in just appeared to be like an orbital strike or a meteor strike or perhaps even a depth charge, not exactly a natural occurrence. We also studied the shock waves caused by large objects hitting the water and it was quite alarming.

So before spending you hard earned cash on feeders scrounge a couple of mini PVA bags from any carp fishing friends.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God