odd idea

Anderoo

this topic couldnt have came at a better time as after years of development ive finally came up with my own custom rod and reel i even have my own brand of line called ginger wire.

the line is so well engineered you can hardly see it, though it is only rated to 2oz bs

will this be acceptable for the fish-in ?

post-7003-1291836055_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done mate. Bring it with you and we'll test it out on some double-figure pike.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Well, I'm still up for it, sounds like great fun and a way of having a laugh and some fishing. I reckon extra points should be awarded for natural materials and techniques (braided horse hair line?) thereby not giving advantage to those that have workshop facilities.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I am up for the challenge, I think it would be great fun!

I got corks for flowing water floats, and matches for stillwater! :D

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

I would have to resort to hazel poles and handlines!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I would have to resort to hazel poles and handlines!

Ever seen someone cast a handline??

I saw an old boy and I mean Ancient Mariner old, at Anstruther harbour casting handlines. He came down with a bucket full of massive handlines, bait and a length of wood, about 12-14 feet long, with a V-shaped notch cut out of the top, like a washing pole.

He'd take each handline, unwind it onto the pier in a neat pile, leaving his baited rigs lying in a straight line off each pile. He then proceeded to pick the rig up using the notch end of the pole, trap the line with finger, where we would do so using a reel and then did a pendulum cast, firing the rig almost as far as I could with a beach setup.

I had never seen anything like but he assured me there was once a time when dozens of folk would be doing it as rods were seen as a luxury.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I absolutely love the sound of this, would be a great laugh! :D I might need to make a couple of rods, as I'm sure twigs with cotton attached wouldnt last too long...

So, do we have a date? Venue?

No, not yet, but plenty of people seem interested so let's get something arranged for next summer (say, August). For a venue I think a day ticket stillwater somewhere in the middle(ish) of the country that doesn't mind us 1. being slightly odd and 2. having a BBQ :)

Any suggestions welcome.

I've got it into my head now that making a rod out of a branch will not only be possible, but easy. This can only turn out well...! :lol:

I'll do a draft of the scoresheet soon and put it up here for comments and amendments :) Let's show the tackle tarts a thing or two!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No, not yet, but plenty of people seem interested so let's get something arranged for next summer (say, August). For a venue I think a day ticket stillwater somewhere in the middle(ish) of the country that doesn't mind us 1. being slightly odd and 2. having a BBQ :)

Any suggestions welcome.

I've got it into my head now that making a rod out of a branch will not only be possible, but easy. This can only turn out well...! :lol:

I'll do a draft of the scoresheet soon and put it up here for comments and amendments :) Let's show the tackle tarts a thing or two!

Here is a link to all fisheries in the Midlands... http://www.fisheries.co.uk/midlandsindex.htm

If anyone know of any of these that could be good contenders please shout! It would just be a case of contacting them then to ask about the crazy idea! :lol:

i know the perfect place ,http://www.barstonlakes.co.uk/ it has 3 ponds ,a little match pool ,a wild pond (ford pool) ,and the main lake plus the river blythe runs along side it .its located centrally ,just of the m6/A42 breat facilities ,bar food / restaurant . behind peg parking along one side of main lake plus convieniant parking elseware around the venue .

the river has chub to 4/5lbs ,roach too 1lbs+ and is small and intomate ,[rovers delight]

the small match pool ,has the usual match species ,small carp to double figures and F1's and silvers [easy pickings]

barston lake ,has a good head of bream ,silverfish and carp that run the high twenties / low thirties tench roach etc [can be challenging as its match fished a lot and the carp boys like too bivvy up on the road side at weekends]

and theres ford pool ,no ones sure whats in there ? as its rather overgrown and wild ,so not fished often [hard work but worth it]

i know nigel the owner , he runs a great fishery ,a fishery run by a angler for anglers .and does a top anglers full english breakfast .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve