Modern Technology

chevin

Did steam locos have seperate pipes to feed steam and sand(dry) just in front of the driving wheels or were they combined?

Molten ice! Would that be water?

Some steam engines had sand dispensers in front of and behind the driving wheels; the heat kept the sand dry and it ran freely. The way a lever was operated determined where the sand went. However, sand was used sparingly - sand and machinery are not good friends. I guess that if ice is frozen water, then molten ice must be water. I think that Vagabond might have been setting a little trap for the unwary there. :D He knows that not everyone twigs that as quickly as you did!

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Did steam locos have seperate pipes to feed steam and sand(dry) just in front of the driving wheels or were they combined?

wouldn't it be steam ,water is hot ice ;)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

wouldn't it be steam ,water is hot ice ;)

You have a 50-50 chance of being right or wrong there mate! ;)

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Could not reply sooner as we were in transit (not by steam but by all-leather Qantas airline) and have just got home. Chevin has partially answered it already, but the answer is both yes and no.

In the early days dry sand was fed just in front of the wheels - by hand in the case of the Darjeeling railway (if you see a film of it, look for the two sand-wallahs perched on the buffer beam) - a bit labour-intensive.

In the case of most early locos dry sand was held in sand boxes and gravity-fed down tubes controlled by a simple valve operated from the footplate. No steam involved

Later on, various uses were made of steam - the Gresham and Craven system used a small steam ejector near the driving wheels, to which steam was piped (down a steam pipe controlled from the cab) to create a vacuum and draw dry sand down the sandpipe. So steam and sand were seperate until delivery.

Another system used in deserts (have only read about this, not seen one) arranged for wet sand to be piped to the wheels, because dry sand got blown away - steam and sand were combined in some way. (Dunno the precise details)

Still another system used compressed air (which in turn was generated by steam pump) to apply the sand.

Chevin is quite right about the need for sparing use of sand - excessive use of the sanding gear was regarded as bad practice. Starting a heavy load without slipping is a test of good enginemanship. One of my favorite driving turns was shunting the loco yard on a wet day - moving strings of heavy "dead" locos about using a little B4 0-4-0 dock tank. A good chance to show off (by not slipping, nor using sand) to the gallery.

LOL Yep - if I had said MELTING ice you might have sussed ! Think about how slippery a slushy mixture of ice and water is.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

water is hot ice ;)

I thought hot ice would be something like a cherry-and-chilli ice cream

.......or perhaps the name of a female pop group ?

RNLI Governor

I thought hot ice would be something like a cherry-and-chilli ice cream

.......or perhaps the name of a female pop group ?

Perhaps even an oxymoron? ;)

Perhaps even an oxymoron? ;)

Well, if its a pop group, some sort of moron anyway. <_<

RNLI Governor