Avons

oakey

Yes, there are some lovely lookin floats there George. Do you have to buy the box sets or can you buy individual floats off him ?

Ian,

According to his website he isnt taking any float orders, & that has been that way for a couple of months now, I directed you there as I knew he had a couple of pictures similar to the ones you were talking about, you would have to email andy and ask him I havent spoke to andy in a long time so dont know what he is up to, sorry.

Which floats on andy's site is it that you like as he has 3 different types that sounds like the ones you mention?

Edited by George387

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i now paul cook does some simular but i think he too is taking a siesta or at least concentrating on his rod building side of the buisness

http://www.artofangling.net/floats.html

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

The float making sections looks very popular on here.

Question is

What is your favorite shape or shapes for the avon float.

And do you like cane stems wire stems or quill

Cheers

Ive been playing around making different trotting floats over the last year to fine out what is best for me and the waters i fish.

For me the things it must have are a top that you can see at up to 50yards, be able to carry 4-5bb to get the bait down, good shoulders for holding back and be as light and slim as possible for the roach and dace. Ive used lots of shop bought floats (stick floats and wire stems mainly), but had never found just what i was after.

I'm not sure what name you would give it and making and testing seems to be an on going process so my choice may change in time, but up to know I've come to like 8mm balsa dowel on a crow quill best.

Having said that i always take an assortment of floats when i go fish.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

i now paul cook does some simular but i think he too is taking a siesta or at least concentrating on his rod building side of the buisness

http://www.artofangling.net/floats.html

I thought the "Nottingham Sliders" looked interesting.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Does anyone know how to set a nice sharp black line on your floats.

No matter how I try they never look like Paul Cooks.

tried masking tape and ever brush under the sun

George when making your Toppers what size quill would you go for.

There is some on ebay but never know what size feathers to purchase.

Edited by oakey

Just dip the float in the paint.

Which floats on andy's site is it that you like as he has 3 different types that sounds like the ones you mention?

The drift beaters and the pheasnt tail antennas caught my eye, I think they could be used for slider floats perfectly.

I find that black ring hard to do, so i don't bother with it as i don't find it makes any difference when long trotting. I tried Budgie,s way, but find blacks not the best under coat to put a bright tip colour over.

You could always cheat and use a black float rubber.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Your right Brian black is no good at all as a base for the tip colour! Maybe I should have explained in more detail. First I dip the black then I dip the base white then dip the fluro tip. If you want a white ring beneath the black then just dip white before the above sequence. If worried about to much build up of paint then a quick sand before each successive colour sorts that.