quivertipping

moonlight angler

usually I like to quiver tip for carp ina a small lake i fish and the carp are usually in the 3Lb to 10LB bracket but problem i have is I get a bites sometimes when I lose concentration and these can be vicious wrap arounds which virtually drag the rod in.

what I was wondering is to prevent my rod being pulled in if this happened (nearly has been pulled in a few times hahaha) what should i do.

Should I set the clutch so it will give line before the rod gets dragged in?

OR use a running rig with a lesser swimfeeder weight so that the bites arent as verocious?

any tips would be much appreciated because i do love quivertipping but can get a bit nervous about doing it for carp with the risk of my tackle going by bye :o

Don't loose concentration...hehehe

Yes easier said them done, I read of one old boy who used an aerolastic fixed to his reel for all his carp fishing.

Yes you should set your clutch so line can be taken.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Get into the habit of holding the rod.With correctly positioned rests you can still keep the rod still and its not tiring.Will stop you loosing rods and hit you more bites when fishing for less stupid species! Daft to change your rig as its working well its just you that's not! :P But that's easily sorted. :D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Just remembered fishing with an angler who had the same problem he/she solved it by having a reversed top rod rest, it was like a hook or an old fashioned umbrella handle going over the top of the rod handle right near the bottom of the butt section, striking was done in the usual manner the butt going down and the tip going up. I don't know how to put drawings on here but I expect other may well be able to draw and post what I am rather badly trying to describe.

This is the sort of Pole Crook that Rik's reffering to.Just slide it onto a bankstick.You can get similar that just screw into the top of one as well-

14784_upuhderRest_web-1.jpg

There are several types of butt rest that "grip" the rod as well as front ones that stop the rod being pulled out of the rests.Heres Fox's origonal Bulldog clip like "Rod Lok"-

RodLock.jpg

But I still reckon holding the rod is the best policy.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

many thanks Budgie

I agree, use a decent depth front rod rest (so it's not easy for the rod to be pulled out of it), sit at 90deg to where you're casting, and rest the butt on your leg and your hand on the rod.

If you do need to put the rod down for a few minutes, I would stick the baitrunner on (if you have one on your reel) or loosen the clutch, but remember to tighten it again!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

i also like to fish the tip regular and i found the sidewinder stops fish pulling the rod over used with a bait a baitrunner reel because your rod is out in front u can fish the tightest of swims .the sidewinder is a very under rated piece of kit been using one now for a couple of years and think they are great.