Float Bouyancy (A bit of Fun)

George387

I'll have 8BB on both floats.

5BB Pith - 4BB Balsa

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can actually tell you that Toady was the closest to the weights

They come in at:

Pith Float 8BB

Balsa Float 7BB

Even although the balsa is a full 0.5" longer the pith float beats it in the bouyancy department by 1BB.

Hope this answers your question about the bouyancy of Pith Gary :)

bouyancy.jpg

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

They come in at:

Pith Float 8BB

Balsa Float 7BB

I make that equal closest. :D

Guest bbamboo

They come in at:

Pith Float 8BB

Balsa Float 7BB

Even although the balsa is a full 0.5" longer the pith float beats it in the bouyancy department by 1BB.

Hope this answers your question about the bouyancy of Pith Gary :)

bouyancy.jpg

Well I was on the money with the balsa.

Size for size do you think the Pith version would hold 9BB, vs 7BB for the balsa,Thats a hell of a difference, George and is too good to miss.

That could be more than even foam

Thing to do fellas, is to get down the Tees and try them out quick while it's in good nick. My 6BB balsa version scored very well today. Some of the nicest ladies I've had for a while. Damn cold in that water though!

Might try some pith....

Sleeping we image what awake we wish;

Dogs dream of bones, and fishermen of fish.

I have stayed out of this after I mentioned it, from my limited experience I thought you would all be surprised and I have read in great expectation. What is going to surprise you even more is when you find out how little you will have to enlarge the size of the elder pith to carry a lot more shot.

Which I hope you will all have a go at experimenting, I know I am most likely the worst on here at explaining things, but I did learn quite a few interesting ideas in my childhood from angler's who would be in their 120's and 130's now.

I expect some of you will instantly recognise what effect using a cross between a bobber's and an avon's with flutes can have for shot carrying and line control.

To say little of the somewhat greater shot carrying ability size for size between elder pith - balsa - foam - etc.

For another little experiment get an old porcupine quill or a large swans quill or even a peacock quill and try that as the insert. I think you will like the porcupine best.

If you can get some jeweler's soft metal wire or some 45amp fuse wire or even strip some copper wire wind it around a straightened giant paper clip wire to give you the bottom line attachment loop and whip it in place.

If I had just said nobody would have believed me you all would have taken the mick of this ol'man, but I detected a curious and experimental float maker now I hope you can all benefit from some old Victorian/Edwardian idea's.

Rod

EDIT

You only have to think about lead shot and it will be clear to all of you, the old anglers who were the teachers of my youth never had the very small and tiny shot we have today, I cant remember even seeing shot smaller than about a number 8 and I would go so far as to say very few of those ol'boys used anything smaller than a number 4 shot, until the mid to late 70's...although it may just be my memory...I don't think so.

END EDIT

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Guest bbamboo
The Pith would definately go 9bb Gary, I always leave enough room for dropper shots to be added when I shot the floats so I would say it would take another 1bb of shot. :)

George could you get some comparisons between Cork vs Pith?