Fishing Talk??

Dom

Hi Everybody,

Do you think you could explain a few fishing "expressions" for me, as I am very new to this.

Ok here we go:

1) What is "hemp"?

2) What are "boilies"?

3) What are "rigs"? I assume these are the mixture of a hook, a weight, and the bait??

I am sorry if I appear hopeless, but, if you don't ask, you'll never know I guess.

Thank you for your patience.

Dom :D:D:D

Hi Dom,

Welcome to AnglersNet :-)

1. Hemp is a black seed, once cooked the shell splits revealing the white centre... very popular as a "carpet" type feed.... most species of fish find it highly attractive.

2. Boilies where developed in the late 70's early 80's by carp anglers... until this time they used to used "specials" which where generally paste type baits.... breadcrumbs and sardines mixed was pretty popular... these paste baits were pretty good but had a few drawbacks... specimen hunters found that fish of all species and sizes were able to take the bait... what they did is roll their past baits into balls (about golfball size intially) and then boil them for a short time... once cooled the baits would develop a hard skin... this hard skin prevented smaller fish from breaking their baits down... Boiles these days are made from many ingredients.. and it's all totally top secret! :D

3 yeah, that's about right... you could add a float to that though :D

Simon

Thank you Simon for your quick response.

I accept that the making of Boilies these days are top secret but what kind of ingredients could be used?

Dom :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dom - you had it pretty much right about the rig. Basically, everything at the business end of your mainline is part of the rig - except the bait itself. Swivel, weight, hook, line, other assorted bits you might want to add.

For boilie how-to stuff, do a search at http://www.google.com and use boilies as your search term. You should turn up a few hundred sites with instructions for making and using boilies. If you get bogged down with terms on any of them, post back with the specific questions.

And don't worry for a moment about asking questions. I think my first few dozen posts were mostly questions since US angling is much different than UK and I didn't understand much of anything.

At least you will start out by speaking the same language as most of the posters on here. :D US English and Brit English are similar in many ways but they for sure ain't the same language.

[ 01 March 2002, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Dom:

I am sorry if I appear hopeless, but, if you don't ask, you'll never know I guess.

Dom,

There's a guy on here who posts as 'chevin'. He says a lot of sensible things (living in Australia, he also says a lot of non-sensible drunken things, but keeps those to email :D ). Anyway, he once said something on here along the lines of:

quote:

The person who asks a question might feel stupid for a few seconds. The person who doesn't ask that question stays stupid for the rest of their life.

Sounds fair enough to me.

Ask away :)

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hiya Dom,

you think that your stupid you should see some of the things that i want to ask!

NO you are not stupid you have got the bottle to ask some thing that you don`t know the answer to,

and that takes brains,to

1. know that you don`t know the answer.

2.you`ve got the brains to ask for help.

3. you feel daft so you ARE intelligent,coz you have to be to know that.

On the other hand you may be daft for asking us lot on here for help, coz 90% of us are!

I feel that 99.9%of people on here will help you if they can.

I`ve forgotten what the questions were! i really must stop going on!

Thats the truth that I`ve forgoten what the question was, now thats stupid init?

Keep asking mate If any one can help you on here they will.

Now then let me go back to the top and see what your original questions were!.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Hello Dom and welcome,Simon left out one important ingredient from boilies which is eggs. :rolleyes:

It's the eggs that makes the bait stay together when boiled and go hard. :cool:

If you wanted to use some I would reccomend a ready made good quality base mix until you have more idea of what you may want from a boilie.

They are obviously a good bait in the right circumstances but there are also many other options as well,some of them much cheaper as well.

Elton:
The person who asks a question might feel stupid for a few seconds. The person who doesn't ask that question stays stupid for the rest of their life

Elton

Thanks Elton, I was trying to think of that one for Bushwacker on another topic.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Thanks guys.

I feel confident now that I can ask a question without the fear or uncomfortableness (is that a word??) I sometimes feel.

Thanks again.

Dom

:D:D:D

Dom:

... without the fear or uncomfortableness (is that a word??)

Dom - if it isn't a word it certainly should be. I think you might find "discomfort" a bit easier to type though.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President