Are the rivers back in form?

tiddlertamer

Cheesepaste and quivertip again :rolleyes: I did try trotting maggots but I couldn't buy a bite. I did get a quick snap of my fish in the net but it's not the best photo!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheesepaste and quivertip again :rolleyes: I did try trotting maggots but I couldn't buy a bite. I did get a quick snap of my fish in the net but it's not the best photo!

Any photo of a 5lb plus chub will beat any photo I can boast from the Upper Lea!

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

My local waters 'looked' in good nick yesterday morning, nice colour and flow and a WT of 46ºF held out much promise - which wasn't exactly fulfilled - one decent perch of 2lb 5oz in atypical conditions (bright sun) was all I could manage before having to go!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

First time my local has been trottable on a day when I could be there for about 6 weeks. A very short session resulted in a 4 fish and 4 species haul. Roach, grayling, dace and chub. great fun :)

I checked out a stretch of the upper Lea.

It's a bit of river I've been exploring recently.

And it's tough...

The only fish I've been catching are chub and though I've now caught over 25 of them in four sessions, none was over 12 oz.

Only one other species has shown up. Barbel!

But it weighed 5.

5 ounces that is!

And today I had another five chub - the biggest only 11 ounces. :rolleyes:

One day I may post a picture here of a tip top fish but it won't be from the stretch of river I fished today!

My only consolation is that it's very quiet where I fished.

I've never seen another angler until today.

He left early complaining that he had blanked... :(

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

It's still tough out there - we are still firmly in winter. Yesterday's dawn start saw me and Rich both perchless (completely biteless in fact!) and the rest of the day was spent chasing chub. I gave trotting maggots a really proper go this time, but didn't get a single bite. I managed a couple of chub on the tip, one of 4.13 and the other of 3.4. No giants, but it's quite a relief to see some smaller chub in the river, I was a bit worried there was just one year class of biggies with no others coming through.

More wintery weather this week - the first proper mild spell will be the time to drop everything and fill your boots!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I managed a couple of chub on the tip, one of 4.13 and the other of 3.4. No giants, but it's quite a relief to see some smaller chub in the river, I was a bit worried there was just one year class of biggies with no others coming through.

More wintery weather this week - the first proper mild spell will be the time to drop everything and fill your boots!

4.13 and 3.4 small! They're giants compared with my recent catches only going up to 12 ounces! :)

Congratulations though - I'll have to give the tip a go myself methinks. Its snowing here in London though so it won't be today!

4.13 and 3.4 small! They're giants compared with my recent catches only going up to 12 ounces! :)

Congratulations though - I'll have to give the tip a go myself methinks. Its snowing here in London though so it won't be today!

Yes, snowing here in Oxford too!

I should of course have said, comparatively small. I was very pleased with them!