chubb

lufcangler86

Hi every1,this is my first post so please be nice.im wanting some tips on taking some chubb from my local stretch of river.they range from 1-5lb but they prove to be quite elusive.the river is 4 foot deep and virtualy featureless,the odd over hanging bush hear and there.can you please give me some of your wisdom on how to temp the fish n once i have not to spook them away.thanks

One way is to make some bread mash and drop it in about 10ft below where you are going to fish from, then trot a float down past the mash, with flake on the hook. The best way to not spook the chub is to stay as far back from the bank as you can, whilst still being able to watach the float; as you have no features, it will be hard to hide behind anything. :)

Hi, welcome to AN :)

Have a look here for a start: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...ub-fishing.html

If you want to try cheesepaste, there's a recipe that works here: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...heesepaste.html

The only other thing I'd add is that in a featureless stretch, any little feature (slightly deeper, steadier water, little bits of cover, slower water, creases) is worth giving some time to. Being absolutely silent will be essential, and fishing on after dark well may prove successful.

Good luck!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What river is it? My standard approach - especially if it is pretty featureless, is to trot it. Keep trickling in maggots and bring the fish to you. Give each swim at least 45 mins then move downstream if your not catching.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

What river is it? My standard approach - especially if it is pretty featureless, is to trot it. Keep trickling in maggots and bring the fish to you. Give each swim at least 45 mins then move downstream if your not catching.

C.

That's pretty much as I would do , but I'd maybe spend less than 45 mins in one swim without catching due to me being impatient :rolleyes:

Question for the trotters - do you find trotting maggots for big chub as effective in slower rivers as the faster ones?

That would depend on how slow. In slow water just the movement of a bait dragging over the bottom can induce a take. Laying on is also a great way to fish for chub.

Question for the trotters - do you find trotting maggots for big chub as effective in slower rivers as the faster ones?

Can't speak for all fast running rivers Anderoo, but you won't find many chub in the fast runs on my local river at this time of year. Most of the best winter chub pegs i fish (with maggot or what ever bait) are slow moving.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Hi every1,thanks for your help.ive had 2 trips this last week i havent done too bad.i found a swim with a few swells running for about 10 metres then a slack behind it so decided thats where i would target them.i started with liquidised bread in a small feeder and plugged it with hemp,fishing a big chunk of bread flake on a size 6 hook.the response was pretty instant catching chubb between 2lb-5lb.i found i would get rapid feeding patterns that would last around half an hour where i would gets instant bites some literaly pulling my rod into the river then as soon as the bites came they would go but 3 more golfball sized balls of bread were dropped in then left for 20 mins and the bites would be back.

i didnt have 50lb bags but realy enjoyed it and maybe bread is my new best bait there.thanks every 1

ps it is the river aire :D