Which dial scales?

Kappa

So lets assume for the sake of arguement that digital scales are rubbish, which dial scales would you go for?

Ideally I'd like a nice light set as a backup to my avons. They only need to go up to 15lbs but most of all they need to be accurate!

Do I just need to get a second set of avons?

Rich

I use the Reuben Heaton flyweight. Good, accurate (enough for me anyway) and lightweight. The only criticism is that the zero adjuster is a bit light and you can alter the zero setting putting the scales in or taking them out of the supplied pouch.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Rich, you have a PM.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Is it the "WeighMaster" scales that the small species guys like?

I think they look ok n'all Budgie. I think they go up in 1 ounce increments and I think one of the sets goes up to 40lb.

I do have the rhuben heaton scales (very small suasage shape) and they only cost about 5 or 6 squid. Only snag is they only go up in 4 ounce increments in the sets going up to 15lb.

Reuben Heaton do a range of lightweight scales in both metric and imperial. I have had a pair for several years as a backup to the avons and also for on the river as they are light. The originals which were marketed under the waymaster label used to have a few problems with the plastic innards but I believe that was sorted out. Unlike the avons, a bit more difficult to ensure that they are hanging vertically to ensure that the spring works properly but for the smaller species and river work the 12 lb version would be ideal.

http://www.reubenheaton.co.uk/disprod1.asp...&prod_id=47

As Tinca says, accurate readings are all about letting the scales hang straight. This is, I think, where a lot of the problems with digis come in, and where the Avons will always be the best.

Avons are big and heavy though. The weighmasters seem to be well regarded, I think I would go for those. 15lb isn't very much though...what about if you catch a bream? :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

My flyweight Mk 2s weigh to 40lb x 1oz!

My flyweight Mk 2s weigh to 40lb x 1oz!

It was those which I meant as weighmaster don't seem to exist any longer. They do look nice and compact.

Edited by Tigger