Quivertipping with cheesepaste

tiddlertamer

I’ve just been out fishing with a friend and watched at first hand how devastating cheesepaste is as a bait as he caught some lovely chub as darkness fell.

I now have some of this wonderful bait and plan to fish a fairly small river and drop the cheesepaste out into some snaggy spots and under rafts of weed in pursuit of chub.

Do you use a bank stick to keep the line clear of the water and settle down behind your rod or do you keep a bit more mobile, keep disturbance to a minimum and just drop the bait in and keep the rod in your hand?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I always use banksticks - it doesn't make me less mobile and means that I can position the rod so that the angle is correct for each spot fished, and I find bites easier to spot if I'm not holding the rod.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

You can do either; if you know what you are feeling for, then touch legering is a great way to catch chub. If not, then a bankstick is ideal to keep the rod up and allow you to see the bites; with chub, you may need to be near your rod!!

Same here, if I'm holding the rod it's bound to shake a bit as you move about. I just use a very basic 50cm aluminium bankstick which weighs next to nothing.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

When tipping especially on small waters, streams and the like it does not matter which bait you use as long as it is fished correctly. With bait as heavy as cheese paste you could well get away with free lining and touch ledgering allowing the bait once cast to move across the flow to naturally settle exactly where free food may settle. You can touch ledger with a singular front rest with your thigh as the rear rest. Due to some takes being of a violent nature it is best if your hand is ALWAYS on the rod or you may have to go and retrieve it from the river.

Some takes are so small you barely feel them with your finger which has your line just in front of the reel looped over it.

To start out touch ledgering use maggots or the like and after casting out hold your rod just above the reel seat and loop the line over just the tip of your finger, THEN CLOSE YOUR EYES,you will feel every touch of anything touching your line or bait and with enough practise you will soon be able to tell the difference. Do not worry you will automatically strike on a big bite.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.

Another good reason occurred to me when I was out chubbing yesterday. In swims where you need to keep the rod tip really high to keep line off the water and out of the main flow, you really need banksticks - you can't really fish these spots properly without them.

On the subject of stripping your gear down for roving, my great invention this season has been a replacement for my folding, adjustable chair. It's nice to have a proper chair, but it's heavy and awkward. So instead I've been taking a normal 'kitchen' bucket with a lightweight unhooking mat inside it. It weighs nothing, is easy to carry because of the handle, and when you want to sit down you just turn it upside down and put the unhooking mat on top.

The only other things I carry are a small bag with the essentials in, one rod, a landing net and two banksticks.

(When I know I won't be going too far or if I'm expecting to stay put for longer periods I treat myself and take the chair :) )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music