honey paste

Jon Hedges

Evenings fellas (and lasses),

I intend to start fishing for Tench again soon - and have read many an (older) book that bangs on about honey paste. Any offers how to make it ? is it simply bread and honey kneeded into a paste ? - if so, how much honey to bread ?

cheers all

Guest crazyhazy

I have never made paste baits out of it John but add some to my groundbait mix when Tench fishing. But to be honest it seems to attract anything Bream and Roach included!! I suppose its just a case of trial and error when mixing pastes - just keep adding till you get the right consistency! hope that helps a bit.

Eeeeek, imagine the jaspers that will attract.

This has given me an idea......... people who keep chameleons put bee pollen on grup food, maybe this would work with maggotts

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Guest Ferret1959

DJMCJERICO:

Eeeeek, imagine the jaspers that will attract.

This has given me an idea......... people who keep chameleons put bee pollen on grup food, maybe this would work with maggotts      

Glugg the jaspers. :D:D

Honey has been recommended as an additive since the earliest printed works on Angling. Izaak Walton heartily recommended it. In fact the very first printed work in English (The Treatise of Fishing with an Angle - 1496) recommends the use of honey for chub, barbel and tench and gives numerous recepies for paste - this is the one given for barbel...

"take mutton fat and soft cheese, of each the same amount, and a little honey and grind or beat them together a long time, and work it until it is tough. Add to it a little flour and make it into small pellets."

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Honey is a natural product and therefore cannot be 'over-flavoured'. I would start with a couple of spoonfuls in a jaffa size ball of paste and go from there.

I personally would use a base mix to form a paste rather than bread.

Originally posted by Dunk Fairley:

[QB] Clarissa the Carp was caught on Honey paste, so be carefull, you may catch a record!!

I thought it was balanced breadpaste/crust (no honey involved), but I haven't got my copy of "No Need to Lie" to hand, so I can't swear to it (99% certain, though).