Winter baits. What do you change?

Guest Alan Taylor

Guest euan pink

a word of warning too anyone who knows where a wasps nest is and is tempted to "have a go"some european wasps are now in england and there sting is far worse than the native wasps.

and alan glad i could cheer you up,and these posts are very useful as i never have done well on my odd winter trips.

i always fished the same as in the summer(though i am not one for too much groundbait)hearing what works for real people on ordinary waters is a big help.

------------------

ANMC FOUNDER MEMBER

SAVE MONEY ON YA FISHIN JOIN TODAY

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest paul mc

HI Alan

When the cold weather moves in i stop using groundbait altogether and i tend to use maggots and pinkies a lot more. Ive also found that lighter hook lenths and smaller hooks also help get more bites.

I find the rivers dont suffer as much from the cold as much as still waters do, so i fish the rivers a lot more.

------------------

Regards Paul Mc(ANMC)

Guest Dave Crook

In winter I use a higher flavour level than in summer and tend to use EA based flavours instead of oil based as their flavour leakage is better in cold water also a bait with coarser ingredients helps. I also use more visible baits colour and size.

A tip for the river angler I have had some fantastic days on the Trent with chub when the river is carrying extra cold water and colour by using Danish blue cheese fished on a patnoster rig in the edge or a small slack.

DC

while fishing in October I noticed, that adding white maggot to bloodwors on the hook increases the number of bites... maybe the contrast in colour helps?...

-----

regards, Nodin

• 11 months later...

Blimey, doesn't time fly?!...yet another good thread from a year ago.

With winter on it's way some of you must be wondering.........

Just to add a little more info on Wasp grubs.

If your nests have been acquired by poisoning the Wasps, be oh so carefull when you're splitting the cells & taking the grubs out.

Problem is, there's usually quite a few that are at the stage of development where they're just ready to break free of the cell, trust me when I say they are active & in full sting mode!!!

The grubs are a marvellous,if soft, bait & the cake makes a very attractive groundbait.

One more thing, the cake can also be broke into pieces & used as a floater par excellence.

If only it was more easily obtained.

Peter.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I was talking to some angler one day when i was fishing with my friend and he seems to do the ame as everyone ealse and feed slightly less in winter. He uses powerful dips though on his hookbait. So the other day when I went fishing I only through out a few freebies where my boilie hookbaits were and seemed got 3 Carp to 8lb! Maybe that is the right way to do it. Worked for me and in Winter I have to tendancy to blank all the time! :S

When perch fishing with bait in winter I use spicy flavourings in my groundbait or loose feed. The colder the weather the hotter the mix I find effective.

My favourite is Archie Braddock's Perch Magic liquid and his Xotic powder. If you can't get the latter try Garam Masala from your supermarket on milder days and Hot Madras curry powder in cold weather.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net