Car help

Anderoo

I'm hoping some here can help with a car problem...

I have an old (R reg) Skoda Felicia which I will be replacing soonish (when I have to). Its latest 'issue' is that randomly the headlights will flicker and dim for a few seconds at a time, accompanied by a kind of flickering noise from the fuse box area. When this happens, other electrical things are affected too, e.g. windscreen wipers. It's noticably worse in the rain, and water has started to get in somewhere and collect in the passenger footwell, which happens to be where the fuse box is located.

What's the concensus? Is it even worth trying to get it fixed or will it cost more than the car's worth (pretty much nothing!).

Thanks for any help.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's shorting somewhere, by the sounds of things. Look for a loose connection, frayed wire, etc. first. It may well cost you nothing to fix.

Also, check the battery terminals are on tight.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It's shorting somewhere, by the sounds of things. Look for a loose connection, frayed wire, etc. first. It may well cost you nothing to fix.

Also, check the battery terminals are on tight.

It could be the headlamp relay clicking in and out. If other devices are affected as well it might just be one dodgy earth connection. As Elton says, check that the battery terminals are clean, dry and tight and that the battery is in good condition i.e. charged!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Thanks both - where should I look for frayed wires? Or earth connections? I am pretty much clueless I'm afraid...

Would the water coming in be affecting it do you think?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks both - where should I look for frayed wires? Or earth connections? I am pretty much clueless I'm afraid...

Would the water coming in be affecting it do you think?

I had a similar thing on an old rover years ago. It was a dodgy earth terminal, water had got into it. I unscrewed the terminal, (luckily it was in the boot), cleaned the rust off with a wire brush and emery paper, screwed it back up and greased it. Job done.

If it's that, it's a matter of finding which one's affected.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I had a similar thing on an old rover years ago. It was a dodgy earth terminal, water had got into it. I unscrewed the terminal, (luckily it was in the boot), cleaned the rust off with a wire brush and emery paper, screwed it back up and greased it. Job done.

If it's that, it's a matter of finding which one's affected.

John.

Aha! Thanks Gozzer. So, what does one look like and where will I find it? :D

Aha! Thanks Gozzer. So, what does one look like and where will I find it? :D

Battery? F'ing great battery-shaped thing with wires coming off it, probably next to your engine somewhere :D I'd start with that. If you can hear any noise when this happens, look what's there. Any lead bolted to your bodywork will be earthing something, so they may need looking at.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Reading back through your original post, you have to stop water getting in the fusebox! Any idea where it's coming in? I'd suggest getting down to Halfords, or similar, and seeing if they have some kind of windscreen sealant.

Reading back through your original post, you have to stop water getting in the fusebox! Any idea where it's coming in? I'd suggest getting down to Halfords, or similar, and seeing if they have some kind of windscreen sealant.

I asked a garage to find and fill the hole but they said it would involve removing the whole dash and everything connected to it, and would cost £££. So I just left it. I've stuck an old rag up next to the fuse box which now stops water getting into it. But it hasn't stopped the lights/windscreen wiper problem...

Thanks for the help so far :)