EA Licence

wotnobivvy

I am in a quandry, as my little one will be 12 during the season. At the beginning he will not need a licence, but will he need one once he becomes 12. I will be on holiday on his birthday, so I can't buy before we go as he will be too young, and the web site will not accept his date of birth so how do I get one. Can I claim that he was under age at the start of the licence period, so won't need one until the start of the next period in 2011.

Edited by wotnobivvy

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Guest Chris Perch
I am in a quandry, as my little one will be 12 during the season. At the beginning he will not need a licence, but will he need one once he becomes 12. I will be on holiday on his birthday, so I can't buy before we go as he will be too young, and the web site will not accept his date of birth so how do I get one. Can I claim that he was under age at the start of the licence period, so won't need one until the start of the next period in 2011.

Hi I could not answer your question but there is a customer contact centre on 08708506506

Hope this helps

Chris <_<

Around a month ago a father and son were fined at my local day ticket water because he had not bought a ticket for his son, tho he did volunteer the information, ie 'oh yes my son is over 12, but only just'.

Given the choice i think i would have just said 'no not yet mate, hes still 11'.

Can't see how it can be proven otherwise, as surely an EA baliff doesn't have the sort of clearance required to get information on minors.

Either way, its a fiver, so if you don't want to risk it pull the pennies out of the penny pot and give the people in the post office something to do.

I'd bring his birthday forward for the purpose of buying his licence online. I don't think the EA's system is sophisticated enough to recognise the change in birth date next year.

It'll cost you a little bit but for peace of mind......

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

The concern I would have about bringing his birthday forwards is that they may use the combination of date of birth and name to identify the holder. If the system says that the licence belongs to John Smith born 15/3/98, they may refuse to accept that it covers John Smith born 18/9/98 - and "what's your date of birth" might be a question used to identify people using someone else's licence.

On the holiday thing, you may be able to buy online in advance if the start date is after his birthday. If you can't, you probably can do in the post office - or you could just nip into a post office on holiday. Or you could get someone back home to buy online on his birthday, he doesn't need the card, just the number, which you get there and then when you pay online.

I'd use the same tactic my mum used on local buses when I was a little Anderoo - if he doesn't look 12, then he isn't 12 ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I don't recall ever having to give proof of age at the Post Office for my kids (quite a few years ago), so just buy one there now and give the correct date of birth.

The EA site also has a phone number option "Rod licences are available from Post Office outlets throughout England and Wales, online, by Direct Debit and over the telephone on 0844 800 5386. The phone line is open from 8.30am to 8.00pm daily from March to September and 8.30am to 6.00pm from October to February."

Edited by WickerDave

I phoned the Customer Service number given and after about 15 minutes waiting I spoke to someone. They agreed that I could not buy online before the birthday (cr*p systems design). What I have to do is to ring on his birthday and get a reference number over the phone, whilst paying with my card in the other hand. I will write to them with my opinions. The reverse is true, such that if you reach the age of 65 during the year, you have to pay the full amount on 1st April. I didn't ask the question about a refund, as if you don't buy the licence until your birthday you wil pay the reduced amount. Inflexible is the word I think I am looking for. They might reach the 20th Century if the work hard. I think the 21st is out of reach at the moment :D:D

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not