Sturgeon or Sterlet

Dales

especially when they are not supposed to stock them any more as they are an alien species

Yes I had a feeling that may be why I never had to much luck finding many :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

They look remarkably alien and fight a very fast battle even though mine were mainly mid/low doubles. A species that is rewarding to catch and lovely to hold. my next species has to be Zander so if any one can put me in touch locally that will go down well

They look remarkably alien and fight a very fast battle........ A species that is rewarding to catch and lovely to hold.

Agreed - here is a piece I did for a year-long species hunt Norma and I entered (and won) on another forum in 2007

The Rodbenders of Stubs Forge Pond

Species Hunt 2007 No 12 Wels catfish and No 13 Sturgeon (Sterlet)

After the tiddler snatching at Cow Gap on Wednesday, I wanted to put a decent bend in a rod somewhere, and chose Stub Forge Pond, just north of East Grinstead.

Leaving home at 7.20 (the fishery opens at 8am) I caught the fringe of the rat race converging on the M23 – nose to tail through the East Grinstead bypass, gridlock at Felbridge traffic lights. … and these poor souls do this EVERY week-day. A swift left-turn into a country lane left it all behind – well, almost – the fishery lies behind an industrial estate, and right under the flight-path from Gatwick airport.

Never mind, remove the hearing aid (being deaf has just a few advantages), chose a side from which I can't see the container lorries, and concentrate on my swim. Magic – I'm in a world of my own immediately.

stub004lz4.jpg

Put a couple of lobworms on a float ledger rig close to the lily pads on the top right, and with the left-hand rod fished two more lobworms lift-method in a deepish marginal swim. It is important here to fish the margins before the day-shift (ie those who fish from 9 to 5) comes tramping round the pond.

Sure enough, I had a result within ten minutes – the left-hand float disappeared – nothing fancy like a "lift" bite, just the float gone and the rod doing its best to follow it. The rod arched and bucked – yes, a decent fish on – playing deep, not fast but a dogged relentless pull.

Slugged it out for about fifteen minutes, then at last I was gaining line, and a leprous creamy-yellow flank showed deep. I already had the net in place, just a matter of bringing the fish's nose right up to the spreader block, else she might curl a tail back over the net rim. She's there – LIFT, take the bale arm off, swing the net over the unhooking mat, and there is my wels catfish for this year's hunt.

A couple of pictures, and return the cat.

wels1stubbi1.jpg

wels2stubcz0.jpg

Out with more lobworms, but now came a nuisance carp that I did not bother to photograph.

The carp were persistent, and ran me out of lobworms.

Time for Plan B. Size 4 hooks, and free-lined lumps of luncheon meat to try for a sturgeon. Sturgeon are greedy devils, so no mucking about with small baits – Cut the luncheon meat into one-inch squares, each a quarter–inch thick . Thread six such squares onto the hook - that gives a composite lump of meat of 1 x 1 x 1.5 inches. Much better than trying to put a single lump on all at once (unless you prefer to thread the bait before tying on the hook – which is a lot of hassle every cast) The composite lump also leaks flavour better than a cube.

Freelined the two luncheon-meat baits at the bottom of the shelf. After half an hour, off went the left-hand rod, and on striking, I felt lively resistance. No catfish this, more like a miniature submarine at full throttle. The fish was determined to reach bankside overhanging bushes , and as fast as you turned it from one margin it would make a semi-circular run for the bank on your other side. I had dipped my second rod early in the fight, but was ever conscious of the danger of the fish fouling the other line – one of the disadvantages of using two rods.

However, at last the fish was ready for the net, and here she is.

sterlet1stubs.jpg

No sooner had the photo been taken and the fish returned, than the other rod was off, the baitrunner whirring, and the rod-tip kicking in the marginal weeds (remember I had dipped this rod). This was a slightly smaller sterlet'

2ndsterletstubs.jpg

Well, I thought, three points in the bag, time to go carp-fishing with floating mixers.

So downwind to dog-biscuit corner I went.

stub016gq3.jpg

Set up a free-lined dog biscuit on the right-hand rod, all ready to drop in by the marginal flags, and started to trickle a few freebie mixers in. The left-hand rod I baited with luncheon meat again.

Soon a carp or two showed interest in the free dog biscuits, so in went some more. I was hoping a bigger-than-average carp might come to the biscuits. Yes! That swirl looked like a good fish, time to "dip me biscuit".

I now realised I had made a strategic error as far as the carp were concerned. The left hand rod suddenly roared into action, the baitrunner yielding line like there was no tomorrow. Dropping the right-hand rod, I struck, and encountered the fiercest resistance of the day. The fish ran nearly the length of the pond, then turned, and made a determined run for dog-biscuit corner. Into the flags it crashed, and then lashed furiously at the surface – putting an end to hopes of catching a carp there in the immediate future.

This was the biggest and angriest sturgeon of the day. Run followed run. My arms were aching well by the time I netted it.

3rdsterletstubbsqo9.jpg

Rather carelessly (I was a bit tired by now) I took its picture, not realising I had cropped the tail out of the picture, but at 45 inches long that sturgeon was some consolation for scuppering my carp fishing.

Dales, if you want to come down to Stubs, pm me - as it is three years since my last sterlet I rather fancy having another go.

____

RNLI Governor

Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer - Vagabond

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

my next species has to be Zander so if any one can put me in touch locally that will go down well

Not too many in our neck of the woods.

Had one at Wintons a few years back, but haven't heard of any recently.

Old Bury Hill (Surrey) is the nearest place where you have a good chance.

....or spend a weekend up in Cambridgeshire. Should be "easy" because

Zanders have eaten all the other fish in the fens
;) Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Guest Chris Perch

Hi there is quite a few sturgeon in maggitts lake basildon - not the most tranquill or attractive lake to fish but they run quite big a friend of mine had an 18 pounder about 7 years ago so they must be much bigger now. but like i say its not a pretty lake and near to the main a127 so a bit of noise pollution.

stambridge fisheries rochford holds sturgeon not sure of the top weight but I had an 11 pounder last spring.

hope this helps and tight lines!

They look remarkably alien and fight a very fast battle even though mine were mainly mid/low doubles. A species that is rewarding to catch and lovely to hold. my next species has to be Zander so if any one can put me in touch locally that will go down well

As Dave said your pretty stuffed for a local Zed.However your more than welcome to tag along on one of my Autumn trips tpo either the Fens or the Worcs Avon.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As for Sturgeon/Sterlet young Natty did several of his exellent reports last year on a water where he had a few.(Sussex if I remember right) As I said then I reckon it would be a great species for an AN fish in if one of the guys who has had a few would kindly organise one?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Cheers guys the info has been very interesting and Stubs looks like a good option. I will definatly give it a go later on in the summer.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Not too many in our neck of the woods.

Old Bury Hill (Surrey) is the nearest place where you have a good chance.

Yeah Old Bury Hill is a good option. I caught my first Zander there last October on my visit and ended making quiet I few trips as I enjoyed the zander fishing so much. They operate a Predator Season between 1st October and 14th March.

So if you can wait until October it's not a bad place to try. There is a Travel Lodge close by and nearer the time its worth keeping an eye out for there reduced rates. Just before the predator season closed this year I done a 2 day session staying at the local travel lodge the night between the fishing days. If you have a long way to travel its a good option if you can get a cheap room rate.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007