Plastic grubs

The Flying Tench

Anyone had any success with these? A friend of mine does well in pretty well all water conditions for perch on the canal, bumping them gently along the bottom. I've never had anything, probably through lack of persistence. Anyone had any pike?

john clarke

Guest Chris Perch
Anyone had any success with these? A friend of mine does well in pretty well all water conditions for perch on the canal, bumping them gently along the bottom. I've never had anything, probably through lack of persistence. Anyone had any pike?

I have had a few carp by fishing the bouyant ones with 3 or 4 real ones but never tried them on thier own.

Yes I thought so mate. Ive not been able to use them a lot for perch as the waters I fish for big perch either have a lure ban,too many trout (which Im sure would love them) or simply far too muddy (commercials) to try with lures. A shame as Ive always felt they would be good.

Ive had quite a few pike on the monster sized ones and when I got back from a stay with Newt gave various plastic worm set ups a go on the Thames and did ok. The real good thing about plastic grubs is they are a cheap alternative to the over priced Bulldawg type lure! Smaller ones are also good for tipping other lures.

Smallest Ive used are around 1 1/2" for perch on a small back river by my caravan when I lived in France.They also took a few chub. They can be rigged so they are nigh on weed/snag proof.

Ask Unca Newt to give you some info on fishing plastic worms John as he knows a lot more about it than I do.

I also think that its a mistake to go to small with any lure or bait for perch.

If you want some worms to try let me know.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've had perch and pike as well as a 29lb carp on them but generally, there are better lures out there for freshwater use.

I also use them with a fairly heavy jighead for barramundi as they can be fished slower than shads but have yet to try to transfere that technique to UK bass.

The Berkley Powerbait ones are amongst the best but do tend to be very soft.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Try the bright orange 6" grubs fished free-lined and worked like a wobbled (sink and draw) bait. You'd be surprised how far you can throw a 6" grub unweighted and yes, they do work.

I also attach them to the ends of some jerkbaits. That's all a Squirrelly Burt is. A stick with a grub on the end and they catch pike no problemo.

The smaller ones are OK jigged for perch but I'd rather use a Mepps myself.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...