Catching That First Carp

Elton

Posted on behalf of Jamie. Please add all replies to this thread:

im' 13 years old and ive been fishing for carp for nearly a year now and ive never caught one

please give me tips to catch one

thanks.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It is annoying i know, but what you gotta do is start on a lake where the fishing isn't too hard and it is stocked well. Use a spod, cast it to a feature or wherever you want and then clip it up and you can keep accurately spodding bait to that area but don't over do it.

Fish your rods over it with whatever baits, i prefer small bright baits or fake corn, also hook on a small PVA mesh bag.

It all depends on the lake really and what size your looking for. You could also just start at a small commercial fishery fishing the float or feeder for smaller carp to 5lb.

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

Keep the set up simple ie: slide a lead on mainline followed by 2 beads and a swivle tied with a palomar knot .

Next attach a hook link finished with a knotless knot and hair for bait.

look up free running ledger rigs on google to get a look at what it looks like.

As for bait i prefere a bright colour that stands out like sweetcorn, flouro pop ups, maize, Or a paste.

It worked for me last week in the freezing cold 3 carp 1 tench and a nice roach

Keep the set up simple ie: slide a lead on mainline followed by 2 beads and a swivle tied with a palomar knot .

Next attach a hook link finished with a knotless knot and hair for bait.

look up free running ledger rigs on google to get a look at what it looks like.

As for bait i prefere a bright colour that stands out like sweetcorn, flouro pop ups, maize, Or a paste.

It worked for me last week in the freezing cold 3 carp 1 tench and a nice roach

Yeah you can't go wrong with a pot of tutti fruiti pop ups, or fake corn as said.

Total Blanker where are you fishing because it's considerably hotter where i am? :huh:

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

Jamie,

I know you haven't caught a carp yet, but have you had anything else? Carp aren't the be-all and end-all of fishing you know! It can be much more satisfying to catch a large roach or even better, a large perch!

Find yourself a place with a good stock of carp and you can't go wrong with something simple like maggots. Do you have a local fishery you can go to? If so, chat to the other anglers and find out what works for them then use the same methods. Most anglers are willing to share their knowledge, if you ask nicely!

I'd suggest you ignore most of the comments regarding spodding/popups/boilies...even though the comments were excellent and meant with the very best of intentions...it can get awfully complicated, but it doesn't need to be!

I'm not an expert by any means, but I caught my best carp in the margins on a single maggot, intended for roach. Don't think you need to cast huge distances for carp...they're forever patrolling the margins, which is where I've caught all mine! The guys tease me for fishing so close in, but I always thrash them!

Most of all, enjoy your fishing, and don't get too caught up in the technicalities..

Janet

Jamie,

I know you haven't caught a carp yet, but have you had anything else? Carp aren't the be-all and end-all of fishing you know! It can be much more satisfying to catch a large roach or even better, a large perch!

Find yourself a place with a good stock of carp and you can't go wrong with something simple like maggots. Do you have a local fishery you can go to? If so, chat to the other anglers and find out what works for them then use the same methods. Most anglers are willing to share their knowledge, if you ask nicely!

I'd suggest you ignore most of the comments regarding spodding/popups/boilies...even though the comments were excellent and meant with the very best of intentions...it can get awfully complicated, but it doesn't need to be!

I'm not an expert by any means, but I caught my best carp in the margins on a single maggot, intended for roach. Don't think you need to cast huge distances for carp...they're forever patrolling the margins, which is where I've caught all mine! The guys tease me for fishing so close in, but I always thrash them!

Most of all, enjoy your fishing, and don't get too caught up in the technicalities..

Janet

sounds better then me and total :D good old single maggot on a waggler in the margins with a sprinkling of pellet, ah sounds fishy :notworthy:

My PB's

Never underestimate the power of the maggot! They will catch just about anything that swims! I've never used a boilie...although I see my fellow anglers using them. Yes, they're the ones who are casting out into the middle of the lake and waiting for bites and the big one....I'm the one catching the fish! I'd rather be catching something than sitting all day waiting for bites!

I normally use a very small waggler with a 12/14 hook, loaded with as many maggots as I can fit on it...it works for me! I fish very close in (more or less under my feet at times!) but it works, really it does! Sit quietly, be patient and they will come...

Honestly, if you were a fish, what would you prefer? A bunch of wriggling creatures screaming "eat me!" or a fluorescent pink artificial looking blob?

Janet

I suggest you follow Janets advice. Keep things simple worm, maggit and corn will all catch Carp. If you are catching other fish at the moment and the venue you fish has a good number of Carp, it should only be a matter of time before you hook one.

Janets advice of fishing the margins is spot on, most anglers fish far out and end up casting over plenty of fish. It's also easier to bait accuratly close in and some times the fish give themselves away be stirring up mud or silt or by moving lily pads or rushes as they move in and out of them.

You cant beat catching a Carp close in, it's so much more exciting then catching a fish at distance.

Well good luck, I look forward to seeing your post about your first Carp.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Best way to catch a carp is to spend a few years catching smaller species.Once your competent at that its not such a big step up.

Couldn't agree more. I certainly did my 'apprenticeship' general coarse fishing for a couple of years before switching, and I still do a little bit of general coarse fishing every now and again.

Rob.