River Wensum

andy_youngs

It might be that the council have put a measure of control in place so that they allow genuine anglers but have the power to exclude those that are deemed less desirable, for whatever reason.

It does also say "no barbecues" :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have fished that stretch of river, and it has always been one of the free river fishing spots of Norfolk, as long as I can remember. I know that the folks who run the pub at Ringland are buying up fishing venues (they just aquired the Bridge Pub at Lenwade, and are in the process of extending it to add the three lakes behind it). They may have expressed a desire to lease that section? I can't see any other reason why the council would stop people fishing there (except for giving in to NIMBY's).

As far as it goes, I would (will) continue to do it untill someone actually tells me to stop. :angry:

I have fished that stretch of river, and it has always been one of the free river fishing spots of Norfolk, as long as I can remember. I know that the folks who run the pub at Ringland are buying up fishing venues (they just aquired the Bridge Pub at Lenwade, and are in the process of extending it to add the three lakes behind it). They may have expressed a desire to lease that section? I can't see any other reason why the council would stop people fishing there (except for giving in to NIMBY's).

As far as it goes, I would (will) continue to do it untill someone actually tells me to stop. :angry:

Good for you yosser, carry on.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy ,

I have been using the Wensum at Ringland for years with my family and i fish there a lot during the summer evenings. I too was very annoyed to see the new bylaws banning any kind of fun it would seem. There is now a sign up on the green saying no fishing etc. I have emailed Ringland parish council but have not yet had a reply.

If you need any help in fighting this then i would be glad to help.

Hope to hear from you soon

James

Hi Andy ,

I have been using the Wensum at Ringland for years with my family and i fish there a lot during the summer evenings. I too was very annoyed to see the new bylaws banning any kind of fun it would seem. There is now a sign up on the green saying no fishing etc. I have emailed Ringland parish council but have not yet had a reply.

If you need any help in fighting this then i would be glad to help.

Hope to hear from you soon

James

Funny that James,

I also have yet to receive a reply from Ringland Parish Council.

So too, I understand, has Canoe Englands local access volunteer advisor, who is extremely upset that he now has to get RPC's prior permission to launch / land a canoe, kayak or inflatable dingy from the site.

So too are a great many other local people who just want to go down onto their local village green (WHICH IS COMMON LAND!) and enjoy themselves in their spare time.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out ....

Andy

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Just to let you know that this issue will be discussed on the radio on Wed 9 June, 8 - 9am on Radio Norfolk.

I was offered a live slot, but I've not done a live broadcast before so I declined. Someone else has stepped up to the plate for me though.

Turn on, tune in, listen, decide .... ;)

Just to let you know that this issue will be discussed on the radio on Wed 9 June, 8 - 9am on Radio Norfolk.

I was offered a live slot, but I've not done a live broadcast before so I declined. Someone else has stepped up to the plate for me though.

Turn on, tune in, listen, decide .... ;)

Look forward to hearing that tommorow - i went down there on saturday and there were a load of people launching canoes and dingys so people don't seem to be taking a lot of notice of the rules. The worst thing was the amount of rubbish on the grass when i got there, looked totally disgusting!! I felt as though i had to pick it all up and only took 5 mins - just wish people ( usually teenagers ) would clear up after themselves- really winds me up!

Look forward to hearing that tommorow - i went down there on saturday and there were a load of people launching canoes and dingys so people don't seem to be taking a lot of notice of the rules. The worst thing was the amount of rubbish on the grass when i got there, looked totally disgusting!! I felt as though i had to pick it all up and only took 5 mins - just wish people ( usually teenagers ) would clear up after themselves- really winds me up!

Precisely James, couldn't agree more. No excuses for leaving litter ... perhaps we could ask the Parish Council to pass a byelaw which fines people who leave rubbish behind? Or would that be too obvious?

Edited by andy_youngs