Wish i had a fiver

JV44

For every time this has happened whilst Piking in the weir pools

Posted on another forum but thought it was worth a look ,They always seem to hit the Jack close to the boat it well makes you jump ,Sadly they nearly all let go but it continually shocks me how big a Pike they will try to grab .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

That was great many thanks for sharing it.

Makes you begin to think about size of a lure to use...perhaps over a foot long is the way to go for the larger pike.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

That was great many thanks for sharing it.

Makes you begin to think about size of a lure to use...perhaps over a foot long is the way to go for the larger pike.

Or live bait with a jack. :o

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Or live bait with a jack. :o

Or more acurately "change" the way we live bait with jack! Ive used jacks for bait on quite a few waters wherer Ive felt they might supply the answer to a big fish. Ive found them rubbish! they are lazy baits and have to constantly be encouraged to work. Also due to their length its always difficult to decided where to place the hooks.

In general I now dont rate them at all! Maybe its a numbers thing? ie the sheer amount of smaller pike being caught and landed these situations are bound to happen? but no where near as many times as on "normal" baits? Also every one who pike fishes doesnt intentionally livebait in fact I would say these days the vast majority dont....but when winding a small caught pike in ALL are unintentionally livebaiting! See what I mean?

No been there done it and no longer bother!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Or dead bait with a jack !

Found that even worse!!

At least with a live one youve got a reasonable chance of a hook up with the bait horizontal and the hooks mid way! With a few foot of dead where do you start! and for me using more than two trebles just isn't an option! and yes been there tried that as well with dire consequences.

Can only comment I my own experiences on the waters I have fished mate (but this is quite wide ranging) others may have found different. If so if they can get it to work for them I would love to know if they are doing something different to me. I value my own experience enough to enable me to make desisions but will always be interested in others findings but only if they are findings based on experience rather than opinion.

The bit that gets me a mate can have been throwing a plethora of different lures in colours/shapes/rubber/hard with no joy and i get a small fish on a bait and the number of times it gets grabbed by the boat by a bigger [not by much often] fish is uncanny ,causing mate to thrash the water to a foam with renewed vigour :lol: .

If he gets a hit its often close to the boat does anyone think that the bigger fish lie up under or near the boat to wait regardless of what size water it may be ?? ,just seems to happen a lot but maybe its just me .

Only tried jacks a couple of times and tiny ones at that so small in fact that the first one was taken by a Perch ,It was caught accidentally on maggot in the first place,the second as Budgie has said didnt move at all and was useless but that is only based on 2 attempts so not really a fair go .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

The bit that gets me a mate can have been throwing a plethora of different lures in colours/shapes/rubber/hard with no joy and i get a small fish on a bait and the number of times it gets grabbed by the boat by a bigger [not by much often] fish is uncanny ,causing mate to thrash the water to a foam with renewed vigour :lol: .

If he gets a hit its often close to the boat does anyone think that the bigger fish lie up under or near the boat to wait regardless of what size water it may be ?? ,just seems to happen a lot but maybe its just me .

Only tried jacks a couple of times and tiny ones at that so small in fact that the first one was taken by a Perch ,It was caught accidentally on maggot in the first place,the second as Budgie has said didnt move at all and was useless but that is only based on 2 attempts so not really a fair go .

I think there could be a number of reason why strikes seem to happen near the boat.

The bigger pike has followed it in and thinks it might be its last chance before the jack gets away in or around the big lump of cover (the boat).

When the jack gets near the boat it is high in the water and flashing around, therefore most visible.....

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep