commercial fisheries

Peter M

Maybe its because i don't fish them much anymore but the usual April visit to a couple of commericals this year has left me feeling rather unfulfilled, silly rules like having to finish early evening, packed swims, the lake becoming very peggy so if your not in the going swim your going to struggle, the lackluster fishery managmnet at one venue where they have moved fish around thier lakes willly nilly, the souless feel of the places where you just feel a bit like a fish monger rather than an angler just add to the frustration. My club waters will open in May thank god, the rivers in June and i will not go to another commercial now for the rest of the year. hooray

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I can sympathise with how you feel there. I've been getting the same feeling for a while now and only fish commercials during the winter months when they are quiet and the silver fish are in form.

Apart the points you mention Peter the other reasons that put me off commercials, I must say this is on commercial fishery in particular which I will not mention cos I dont want to get sued, is the water quality during the summer. Low oxygen levels, fatty scum on the surface, water stinking like sweage, and the bailif going round the fishery first thing scooping all the dead fish out of the water. How this is allowed to happen I have no idea and it sickens me greatly. The litter is my other complaint and me and father often end up with several carrier bags full of rubbish and thats usually just from the pegs we are fishing!

Dave

Middlebrough Angling Club

Visit My Website

Follow Me On Twitter

Born to fish..................... Forced to work!

Which ones have you been to Peter ? I'm not too far from you and I know a couple that are okay.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

hi mate i have been to loads in the Essex/herts area over the last 10 years but over the last couple of years i have been to Timberlands Harlow, Puddledock farm upminster, Rib valley in Ware, Arrans lake chelmsford, Birds green at Fyfeld. To be honest they are what they are shallow small lakes with plenty of fish (and plenty of anglers), very unlike the CAA club lakes or rivers i usually fish. I quiet liked Arrans although its a really silly lake carp wise but for a commercial the fish looked in good condition. I think its just me i like to commit to a water and really get to know it, maybe i am just missing my usual haunts that are closed this time of the year.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Try Lake John just outside Waltham Abbey. The guy who runs it, Colin, is quite strict how he runs his fishery and you can have a good days fishing there. I've seen him kick loads of idiots out over the years for messing around, littering, etc and he doesn't take any crap.

Lots of bream, rudd, roach, decent perch and tench although a lot of people fish for the carp. The update page on the website hasn't been updated for a while but I'm planning a trip down there this week so I'll let you know what the opening/closing times are.

If Lake John is too busy then I usually head over to Holyfields as they've got two nice mature lakes and are usually pretty quiet.

Edited by jedibond

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

There's no point going if you're not enjoying it. Why not try some fly fishing? I took it up so that I could still fish in the old closed season, and now really look forward to the few trips I have each spring :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I’m with you on this one. Some are OK, particularly in the winter when there are fewer anglers about, but once the sun comes out a few can be a nightmare. Greedy owners packing as many anglers in as they can, litter, daft rules about baits you can and can’t use, and worst of all what I call the “instant” carpers (take one numpty, a mail order starter kit, two (very) loud buzzers, a bag of boilies a six pack of lager and stir).

There are alternatives until the 16 June rolls around again, some club lakes no longer observe the traditional closed season, canals, park lakes, or why not try a bit of fly fishing or sea fishing?

Guest Culshan
I’m with you on this one. Some are OK, particularly in the winter when there are fewer anglers about, but once the sun comes out a few can be a nightmare. Greedy owners packing as many anglers in as they can, litter, daft rules about baits you can and can’t use, and worst of all what I call the “instant” carpers (take one numpty, a mail order starter kit, two (very) loud buzzers, a bag of boilies a six pack of lager and stir).

There are alternatives until the 16 June rolls around again, some club lakes no longer observe the traditional closed season, canals, park lakes, or why not try a bit of fly fishing or sea fishing?

I sympathise with many of the thoughts in this blog. Fortunately where I live there is only one commercial in the area (25 miles away). I normally fish wild waters for natural fish stocks and it personally suits me. I spend some time in England fishing and coaching, but I try and avoid commercials when I can, even though there are some which are well looked after and are pleasant places. The issue I have is one of fish welfare where many are overstocked. I feel this is unfortunate when angling is under scrutiny.

i got to ask whats wrong with a mail order starter kit? i not got one, but my best mate who i just got started into is wanting somthing like that to get him off his feet.. he just sold his ps3 should i tell him not to buy one?

i got to ask whats wrong with a mail order starter kit? i not got one, but my best mate who i just got started into is wanting somthing like that to get him off his feet.. he just sold his ps3 should i tell him not to buy one?

My first fishing gear was a starter kit a 3m whip infact. It came with a huge float taking several gramms a size 12 barbed hook and line that can only be described as shark fishing line. Needless to say the whip was the only bit of the starter kit that got used. I had to purcahase floats line ans hooks seperately. Things might have changed since then but my advice would be to either buy second hand from someone who is selling up or just go out and buy the individual items. He will then get what he wants/needs and something that is totally unsuitable.

Dave

Middlebrough Angling Club

Visit My Website

Follow Me On Twitter

Born to fish..................... Forced to work!