My first Skimmer/Bream...

stooby

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I would think so.Ive caught bream of nearly 4lb that have still been very pale/grey/silver but also caught much older (possibly stunted) bream of only 1 1/2lb that have been properly bronze.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes I would think so.Ive caught bream of nearly 4lb that have still been very pale/grey/silver but also caught much older (possibly stunted) bream of only 1 1/2lb that have been properly bronze.

I guess it depends on the waters I guess, but the colour seems to be the key indicator... thanks Budgie! :)

Stoobie, I cannot see properly but I think that your skimmer may be a Silver Bream, if it is then its a big one !!

A silver breams eye width is the same as the width from the eye to its nose, which yours very nearly is. Also the actual eye is larger in the silver than the bronze. Look it up on the internet, Bronze = Abramis brama. Silver = Abramis bjoerkna or Blicca bjoerkna

As for being a skimmer, its normally any size that can be skimmed across the waters surface to your waiting net, normally up to about a couple of pounds or so but a very small one is referred to as a razor blade.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.

Stoobie, I cannot see properly but I think that your skimmer may be a Silver Bream, if it is then its a big one !!

A silver breams eye width is the same as the width from the eye to its nose, which yours very nearly is. Also the actual eye is larger in the silver than the bronze. Look it up on the internet, Bronze = Abramis brama. Silver = Abramis bjoerkna or Blicca bjoerkna

As for being a skimmer, its normally any size that can be skimmed across the waters surface to your waiting net, normally up to about a couple of pounds or so but a very small one is referred to as a razor blade.

Hi tinca steve,

I hope it is a Silver Bream! :D that would be ace... to be honest, I didnt know there were even 2 types!

Could anyone else comment on the above from Tinca Steve to confirm if it is a Silver or a Bronze???

:)

Cheers,

Stooby...

Afraid not, Stooby - it's a common/bronze bream. Silver bream are rare these days, and grow much smaller than bronze bream. Here's a link to a giant! http://www.fisheries.co.uk/news/news/2009silverbream.htm

:headhurt: Oh well, there is always next time eh! :)

£7,500 thats not a bad days pay! - plus the bonus of being a record holder!

I went out this morning before work to the same place, and I got distracted by watching 2 swans making a next just off to one side of me, I only realised I had a bit on my polaris when the rod started bouncing up and down on the bank sticks out the corner of my eye!! at which point I struct and missed the thing! :angry: I couldnt believe it... that'll teach me to pay more attention at 05:30 in the morning!

Cheers,

Stooby...

Afraid not, Stooby - it's a common/bronze bream.

Yep, I'll second that.

The tail and fins are way to dark and fleshy for a Silver bream. Have a look how light they are in the link Anderoo put up.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep